Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends and I love the Three Stooges and especially the episodes with the beer. They called it Panther Pilsner but we always called it Panther Piss. My wife has a poodle, so the name became "Poodle Piss Brewery".

Funny my wife's grandfather grew up in the Pilsen neighborhood on the southside of Chicago.During prohibition they used to make moonshine and they called it Pilsen Panther Piss. I never thought about it but I wonder if that's where they got the name.I think thos Stooges shorts were on during prohibition IIRC.

Another idea that occured to me was something along the lines of Overflowing Ark Alehouse- we have 8 dogs full time, four cats, eight birds, two prairie dogs, a water monitor, and thrity snakes or so (we've had over 150 snakes in the past plus lizards, ferrets, a vampire rabbit, flying squirrels, poison dart frogs, butterflies and who knows what else)..

Any thoughts?

I thought I was the only one around here who kept poisin dart frogs. Do you still have them?

SWMBO's maiden name was Glass, I told her I wouldn't marry a woman who wouldn't take my last name, because she gave up her last name and had a hard time of it, she dubbed it Broken Glass Brewery.

The city I live in (Campbell, CA) is a small city surrounded by a much larger one (San Jose). Despite that fact, it's got a rich history - complete with a museum documenting the old buildings and some of the original residents. The land used to be all fruit orchards, and as such Campbell's nickname is "the Orchard city".

Thus - Orchard City Brewing

"Diarrhea Jones' Brewing Works"

our maiden brew was a Nut Brown Ale...we're young...were bored...someone said "it kinda does taste nutty" I think you can all imagine what and how that conversation conspired.

It then became our joke at how serious people take things - I made a t-shirt that read "sometimes its good for beer to taste like $h*t" and well it gets alot of weird looks when I wear it out in public.

^ Ha, Somehow I don't think that name would do you any favors in a commercial setting. In fact, I think I'd keep your brewery name between you and your brew partners...

I have an epic tale of how I got my brewery's name. One Thursday after college rugby practice, we were having our usual team pre-game party at our house before everyone went out to the bars. Someone eventually challenged me to a chugging contest and since I kept winning I had to keep chugging until someone beat me. Needless to say, I blacked out later on while we were at the bar. I wake up at six in the morning on Friday and have to be at work for seven, on someone's couch in an apartment that I've never been in before. Not wanting to wake anyone up I went to the door but it was deadbolted without a key in it, so I left out of the back door only to realize that I'm in my own apartment complex. I walk into my apartment but I can't find my car keys or my phone, so I figured that I left them on the couch I slept on. I go back to find the apartment but I'm so hung over that I can't remember which one I came out of, so I started at the begining and checked every apartment that kept it's back door unlocked. I broke into about 15 different apartments before I found the one that I slept in. I check the couch but I can't find anything, so I finally decide to wake up the people there to see if they know what happened. When I walk upstairs to the bedrooms, not only are there not people there, there's not even beds or anything there. The whole apartment was empty except for the couch that I slept on and a stolen road sign that says Louisiana Tung Rd. I stole the sign but never found my keys or phone. Now that I have my own house and outside cooking shed turned brew house, I hang the stolen road sign on top of the door.

Thus, Louisiana Tung Brewery

I have an epic tale of how I got my brewery's name. One Thursday after college rugby practice, we were having our usual team pre-game party at our house before everyone went out to the bars. Someone eventually challenged me to a chugging contest and since I kept winning I had to keep chugging until someone beat me. Needless to say, I blacked out later on while we were at the bar. I wake up at six in the morning on Friday and have to be at work for seven, on someone's couch in an apartment that I've never been in before. Not wanting to wake anyone up I went to the door but it was deadbolted without a key in it, so I left out of the back door only to realize that I'm in my own apartment complex. I walk into my apartment but I can't find my car keys or my phone, so I figured that I left them on the couch I slept on. I go back to find the apartment but I'm so hung over that I can't remember which one I came out of, so I started at the begining and checked every apartment that kept it's back door unlocked. I broke into about 15 different apartments before I found the one that I slept in. I check the couch but I can't find anything, so I finally decide to wake up the people there to see if they know what happened. When I walk upstairs to the bedrooms, not only are there not people there, there's not even beds or anything there. The whole apartment was empty except for the couch that I slept on and a stolen road sign that says Louisiana Tung Rd. I stole the sign but never found my keys or phone. Now that I have my own house and outside cooking shed turned brew house, I hang the stolen road sign on top of the door.

Thus, Louisiana Tung Brewery

Epic.......

I've been considering using "Elven Ninja"... because that's what I see in Bell's logo.

BellsLogo.gif

The university where I work has the motto "Veritas Vos Liberabit": The truth will set you free.

It wasn't much work to get to Beeritas Vos Liberabit: The beer will set you free.

I've commissioned a logo that will do the name justice.

To throw another name on top of the pile,

Our's is Accidentally Good Brewing.

Named this primarily because every brew something is messed up on -- we forget to make note of the time we throw in the hops, we throw in the wrong grain, we add too much of one ingredent or another... so something is always an accident... however, the brew always turns good! :)

Gnome & Koriggan.

My best-bro's nickname is "Gnome", mine is "Dwarf". My family's business was named "Koriggan". It's just a blend of all that.

(Sounds like weird nicknames for 2 guys whom are 6.2 feet tall, but it traces back to middle school when we were half that height :D )

Routten's Junk started out as a crude joke from some sailors on my submarine. It turned into Routten's Junk Racing because I was building a beater for rallycross racing. Then Routten's Junk Brewery just fit.

I've got three I kick around in my head.

1. Bay State Brewing Company - Cuz I'm in Mass

2. Dub Cut Brewing Company - one of my nick names

3. Starbarely Brewing Company - Kind of like Starbury. I like the sound of it, but not the look of it. (just to be clear I'm not a huge Stephon Marbury fan, I just find the ridiculous way he finds himself into trouble amusing.)

Broners and Brewbies Brewery....

Rolls off the tongue eh?

ANYWAY I'll break this down for you but please dont be offended anyone...

Broner can best be explained by this video (NSFW!!)

[ame=http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fe1c56e87b/rob-corddry-has-a-broner-from-fod-team-and-rob-corddry]Rob Corddry Has A Broner from FOD Team and Rob Corddry[/ame]

Brewbies is pretty much a word we made up that we even got added to the urban dictionary Urban Dictionary: brewbies

And this pic is only a rough idea for a label...still working on it

BronersProst.jpg

Mine is “Kegs and Kickstands"

I was trying to take both of my favorite things I like to do in life homebrewing and motorcycling and put them together. I think it flows pretty well and I like it!

29 1/2 Brewing Co.

We live at #29 and I keep my fermentors and bottles in the cupboard under the stairs. My wife came up with it. I guess Harry Potter lives under the stairs and his address is 1/2 or something like that.

Well I have for a while been trying to combine my interest for the American Revolution with beer, it had to be original without sounding too corny.

I had a breakthrough yesterday.

Broadside Brewing Co.

Broadsides were the "Extra" papers of the day (although even that is an outdated term, only the biggest papers do extras editions anymore, maybe it is the Twitter of the day?).

So when the Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4th, 1776, it was brought straight to the Continental Congress's official Printer. John Dunlap who owned a print shop on 48 Market St, Phila, PA.

He spent most of the night setting type, running test copies, and printing about 200 copies of what became known as the Dunlap Broadside.

In my opinion, one of the most important versions of America's sacred documents (only the Constitution is more important in my eyes). The engrossed Declaration of Independence is nice but was completed over a month later. This was the version everyone in the colonies heard the news from. It is said Washington himself received a copy that he read to his troops.

I own a reproduction done on period style letterpress from Prints by AJ, and would encourage anyone with an interest to throw the guys the 20 bucks it takes with shipping to get one. I framed mine and hung it above what is soon to become my yeast culturing workstation.

Anyway, going off of this theme, I have thought of a few names that I am quite happy with.

Print Shop Pale Ale
Dunlap's Dunkel (Dunkel Weizen or Dunkler Bock)
Long S Stout
Letterpress Lager
India Ink IPA
Movable Type Mild

Special work done on a letterpress is said to be "Inked by Hand" I figured that could be a good name for any specialty series beer ala New Glarus Unplugged.

So what do you think?

whew, i read every page of this thread and love it! i've been working on a brewery name. it was almost "Bionic Brewing". that's what i dubbed my 4x4 Land Cruiser project, Bionic. I rolled it and am building it back "bigger, faster, stronger".

but after a long list of other possibles, the wife and I agreed, in the vein of what's been said here many times- "get a topic that offends the most # of people and run with it"... we went with-

"Atheist Abbey Brewery"

my wife and i come from very opposite religious backgrounds. both of us have become atheists since. OK, onto a logo!:ban:

Görges Brewing.

Görges is the original German spelling of my last name. I have always been very proud of my name and I like the idea of something being named after it. Even though we don't use the "Ö" in the name anymore, we still pronouce it the proper way. So I wanted to include the umlaut in my brewery's name so it is pronounced as it spelled.

When I first started brewing, SWMBO asked where the alcohol in the beer came from. I told her it was a bi-product of the yeast eating the sugar. So she said, "So, you're drinking yeast poop beer?" Hence, Yeast Poop Beer (YPB)Brewing

Wow what a thread!!!

I opened it hoping to get a few ideas for my own brewery name. After reading every post in all 71 pages I have a few but I think they are lame. I think I am going to just wait till the name sticks that fits perfectly.

Some of the ideas I had. None that I love.

Cedar Lane Brewery (Our first apartment was on cedar lane.
BAD Brewery my initials are B A D
Lazy Summer Brewer (I started brewing while taking my first summer off as a teacher, normally I work summer school)

Fork and Hay Brewing

An audible pun if you say it fast enough (F***ing A!)

For years I thought about opening a tavern by this name when I retired. Since I am now unlikely to retire before death I had to readjust my goals.

I have been using Witchy Hilltop Brewery as I live on Witchie Drive, on the top of the hill. I'm getting a wee bit tired of it though and since my wife breeds Chihuahuas I was contemplaing Kleiner Hund Alehaus (Small Dog).

Another idea that occured to me was something along the lines of Overflowing Ark Alehouse- we have 8 dogs full time, four cats, eight birds, two prairie dogs, a water monitor, and thrity snakes or so (we've had over 150 snakes in the past plus lizards, ferrets, a vampire rabbit, flying squirrels, poison dart frogs, butterflies and who knows what else)..

Any thoughts?

That many animals?! How about bat**** crazy brewing?! :)

Three Black Feathers Brewery.

When SWMBO and I were talking about getting married her taking my surname became a point of contention. It was something very important to me. Any how, she ended up making her maiden name her second middle name and took my surname.
So she was talking to her father one day and he said he had found the coat of arms for their surname and it was something with three black feathers on it. I thought that it would be a cool brewery name, I couldn't think of anything else for a year, and I know it would of been something special to her. It's just a home brewery name but it meant alot to her.

I have been using Witchy Hilltop Brewery as I live on Witchie Drive, on the top of the hill. I'm getting a wee bit tired of it though and since my wife breeds Chihuahuas I was contemplaing Kleiner Hund Alehaus (Small Dog).

Any thoughts?

How about 'Backup Ark Brewery'... since you're house was obviously the backup for the overflow of animals that didn't get on the original ark?

(also, I totally read 'poison dart frogs' as 'poison dog farts' the first time around, and was confused...)

Inyermouth Brewing Company...

Buddy of mine came up with it and it has stuck since...especially since our slogan with a strong Irish accent is the first line of my signature:

sharpstick:
why sharpstick?
that's become my playa name(burningman festival) and i use it on most forums now.
and sometimes i use "crooked label winery/brewery". i had so much trouble trying to get rectangular labels on straight that i designed labels that were trapezoids, printed the text at odd angles and just slapped em on any old way.

Mine is Feros Ferio Brewing. I'm part Scottish and "Feros Ferio" (meaning "I am fierce with the fierce") is the motto of my ancestors' clan.

Atomic Donkey Brewery. It was the name of the first band I was ever in. Just thought I'd carry on the name. :)

Mars Brewing Ltd.

I live on Mars Avenue, and I'm a HUGE space nerd. Like, given the choice of beer and space, I'd have to think, real, real, real hard on who would win. I like the Ltd. because it gives an English sort of feel to the name.

And that's the way it was!

Gypsy Brewing

for a while after college i lived in a basement with 5 other guys. yes, it was slightly crowded, but incredibly cheap. anyway, random stuff would accumulate that nobody wanted to take responsibility for. If said random item happend to be of any potential value to me, i would assume ownership... or "Gypsy" it as my roomates said. They started calling me "gypsy".

and i also "gypsy" some of my brewing stuff. 60 feet of soft copper from work to make a wort chiller, bottles from recycling bins at my favorite pub, etc. So i thought the name fit well.

Latest posts

Back