Cascade + Vienna SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Brewed this up today. Should be tasty...

11lbs Vienna
1oz Cascade @ 6.3% 60min
.5oz Cascade @ 6.3% 30min
.5oz Cascade @ 6.3% 2min
Yeast: S-04

Doughed in at 104 for 20mins Pulled off 8.5 quarts, brought that to 158, rested for 20mins. Raised to boil, After 5min boil, returned some back to bring the mash up to 120 for a protein rest. Rested 15mins, returned more to bring the main mash up to 150. Stopped the boil (~20 mins boil) Rested 45mins. Returned the decoction to a boil ( it was only down to about 195) and returned the rest to the mash for a final mashout at 172.
Collected 7 gallons, boiled to 5.5gals over 1 hour. OG: 1.050

Sounds yummy. Just curious what category of beer that falls into? German ale or pale ale? I calculate an SRM of 6.2 and IBUs around 28.

PROST!

Well we could call it an Austrian ale... but it's cascade hops.

Also the color is darker than 6 as the decoction darkens it a bit.

Ok. Porst on getting to doing decoctions! Do you notice a difference in the beer quality?

By the way, I really like your signature quote.

Yeah decoctions aren't so much about quality but more of a way to add complexity and more flavors to a beer.

I do them when I feel a beer would greatly benefit from it.

The sig is Mark Twain.

Pale Ale...american hops, but a bit maltier than the "traditional" style.

Should be awesome...Vienna is a fantastic base malt. I was amazed at the complexity in my Vienna+NB SMaSH.

(great quote, btw)

I will be making this SMaSH this weekend. I have a lot of cascade in the fridge, and I'd like to use it up. However, I'll be using WLP830 german lager yeast. I know this breaks the style rules, but will cascade do well in a lager? Or should I pick up some hallertau.?

To hop onto the bandwagon...what kind of flavor profile does Vienna give compared to Maris Otter?

Honestly, I don't know much about malt. That's why I'm making a vienna SMaSH. :) I'm going to find out one batch at a time!

From what I gather, it's a base malt with a toasty aroma. I think I'll use a decoction mash. I pitched the wlp830 starter late last night, brewing tomorrow or sunday. :ban:

Okay back from the LHBS, I made a last minute decision to use Saaz instead of cascade. I was too much of a wimp to try it with cascade. The guy there told me it would taste too much like a weird APA.

Soooo the smash is now:

Vienna Malt
Saaz Hops
wlp830 German Lager Yeast

Okay back from the LHBS, I made a last minute decision to use Saaz instead of cascade. I was too much of a wimp to try it with cascade. The guy there told me it would taste too much like a weird APA.

Soooo the smash is now:

Vienna Malt
Saaz Hops
wlp830 German Lager Yeast

That is the recipe to a Vienna Lager. Lager it properly.

Latest posts

Back