Keg lube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmoron

Reaction score
How crucial is this? I have to keg my porter before I go on vacation in two days. I have no local homebrew store, so the only way i can get more is to order it, and it will not get here in time for me to use it. Will my keg leak if I don't use it?

I bought a tube but I've been searching for two hours and can't find it.

Mineral oil will work in a pinch. Its food grade and in every product known to man like lipstick, lotion, used to lubricate food processing machinery.

I personally use water proof grease or silicon grease available in the plumbing section at home depot / lowes in the faucet repair bay.

Edit

I don't use the stuff. I had one keg that would not seal so I used it and what a PITA to clean it off after the keg is empty. It should not be needed if the kegs are in good shape.

how about if i had to choose between mineral oil and vaseline in a pinch, which do you guys think would work better? both are petroleum based.

how about if i had to choose between mineral oil and vaseline in a pinch, which do you guys think would work better? both are petroleum based.

Frankly, Keg Lube looks JUST like vaseline. If you do use vaseline, be sure it's not one of the "scented" types. Make sure it is pure petroleum jelly.

If you have a Co2 tank, Just give the keg a quick hit with like 30/35#'s of gas it should seal up fine. Then you can order some lube for next time. I use (sprayon) food grade silicone lube. :mug:

do yall think it is necessary to lube the post and dip-tube o-rings as well or just the lid?

All I do is the posts, and just so the disconnect slips nicely over the o-ring.

I used to use just a spray of StarSan (always have a spray bottle of that in my brewery) but sometimes the disconnect would come off really hard. Now I sparingly lube the o-rings, but still hit them with StarSan to sanitize.

I had the spray lube in the past, and I think I like the spray stuff better, it gives you the thin film you're after by default.

I don't feel that it helps it seal better myself, so I'd say skip it til nextime.

do not use petroleum jelly. its oil based. ky is water based and ok for human consumption. go buy a big tube and be done with it.

do not use petroleum jelly. its oil based. ky is water based and ok for human consumption. go buy a big tube and be done with it.

interesting. The keg lube sold by Northern Brewer and a lot of other suppliers is petroleum based as well, and FDA approved.

petroleum jelly is ok for human consumption in small parts. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be suggested for putting on your lips.

And on that note... in a pinch, I wonder if plain chapstick would work. :D

Keg lube isn't necessary most of the time. It does make getting connectors on & off easier and once in a while, it can be the difference between a lid sealing or not. The trick, when you do use it: just a very thin film. If you are worried about leakage, just seat the lid with a little pressure & take it off the CO2. Worst case, you find/get the lube when you get back and force carbonate.

The reason not to use petroleum Jelly type lube is because it will degrade and deteriorate the rubber seals. Water/silicone will not degrade the seals. Go to the Dow Corning Web site and look up Compound 111, I think they call it Valve Lubricant.

Works Wonders

Compound 111

You can even order a free sample. The sample I got will last me about 1500 years.

dp

The reason not to use petroleum Jelly type lube is because it will degrade and deteriorate the rubber seals. Water/silicone will not degrade the seals. Go to the Dow Corning Web site and look up Compound 111, I think they call it Valve Lubricant.

Works Wonders

Compound 111

You can even order a free sample. The sample I got will last me about 1500 years.

dp

Good tip! I just requested a free sample.

Back