2 - 3% in one week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistlepig

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am new here and new to the world of making hard cider. I found this video which got me started and figured I'ld go from there. Can this be as easy to start this way as he says.
Ive been reading posts in here for awhile and have become very interested in this. Figured I'ld start slow with OLD GREEN DEANS video and work my way up from there though I would lke a little more potent drink than the 2 or 3% he talks about. Do I just let it ferment a little longer than he claims. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Whistlepig, welcome to the forum!!

Reguarding GreenDean: I liked his approach to growing wild yeast from the apple peal soo much that I did it myself a month ago or so. check my threads for Wild Yeast Experiment. Anyways, it works, however the yeast has a tough time falling out of suspension and that problem would be best taken care of by using a comercial yeast. I suggest you look for something called "Apfelwein" it is a huge thing around here. I made a batch recently and oh my goodness the results do not compare!!! It is a much better tasting end product! In the apfelwein recipe it calls for extra dextrose to increase the alcohol content. I would suggest leaving it out if you are looking for a lower abv. The yeast used is a dry yeast. It is made by Red Star and it it called Montrachet. It will not be expensive to find. If you want to make it really easy on yourself go buy a gallon of applejuice anything will do. Just make sure no preservatives are added. Add your Montrachet yeast to the jug and shake it all up. Now cap the bottle overnight and in the morning crack the lid open and leave it barely cracked open so the CO2 can escape slowly which doesn't allow any germs to get into your apfelwein. Trust me this stuff will be amazing!! If you have any other questions just search for "man I love apfelwein" and you will be able to read every question and answer you could possibly want to read. goodluck

I would definitely advice you buy a carboy or at least a 1 gallon glass jug, and some airlocks. While xcrusaders advice was good, I still recommend some real brewing equipment, a small investment to insure quality product.

Thanks for the input. I'll definately keep reading posts on this forum and am currently looking for some brewing equipment. I liked Green Deans simple approach but am after a little more potency. Seems I've got the bug and had to laugh at myself for peaking in on my cider. Something very satisfying about watching it bubble away.
Thanks again.

I agree wild yeast takes a very long time to fall out of suspension. I have a batch from October that is about half way clear in the carboy! At any rate, another risk with wild yeast is that you run a very high risk of getting a souring bacteria in there which may or may not be an issue. (Depending on if you want it to go sour!).

Back