Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tigerSweep.png
Go Tigers.

I was hoping the NLCS would be over in 5 games so each League had near the same amount of downtime. (Actually I wish there was no downtime.) Baseball players aren't used to sitting around six days before the next game. I think all that time off is what killed the Tigers in 2006. Now that the Cards couldn't wrap it up, I'll probably root for the Giants.

I'd like to see the Giants go to the World Series. I love the Tigers and my girlfriend is from California, she's not a big fan of baseball but she likes the Giants and their closing pitcher with the beard. I forget his name. Leyland said the team would be "very busy" waiting for the World Series so I'm hoping that they really do keep very busy and don't lose any of that heat they had in ALCS games 2-4.

At this point I can only hope that the NLCS goes 20+ innings to thoroughly deplete either pitching staff. A repeat of the 2006 WS would be devastating. Can't believe the Giants have stretched this out. I hope Leyland is keeping the Tigers fresh and ready for Wednesday night.

iaefebs said:
A little early on your call, STL still has 6 outs to go.

Lol. Yea, I've watched all those games and you could see they never gave up. This is not one of them, unfortunately.

Well, it almost came down to my prediction. I was really hoping it would have been game 7 of the World Series, prime time TV with the newer rule that all games have to be complete. A team is down by 9 runs, 2 out, and lightning strikes on the infield. No one is injured but the game has to be called off and has to be resumed the next day. This is what I've thought could happen and baseball has no plan.
Congratulations Giants. See ya Wednesday.

So sweet that it came down to Holiday making the last out to Scuturo. Giants Tigers should be awesome. I have loved every series so far this year. Giants and Reds old school franchises, Giants and Cards old school franchises, and now 2 of the oldest franchises in baseball face off in the World Series for the first time? This is awesome. What a postseason.

That was one of the angles I missed. I was waiting to see if after Holiday got beaned in the 6th if there would be another play at 2nd.

Dude, so you're a Tigers fan? I'm so stoked for this Series. Two of the oldest franchises in baseball, a great season, my Giants versus a Tiger's team that hasn't won since '84. A triple crown winner, both league MVPs, the best pitcher in baseball, Zito with probably his last chance at this level. There are 3 Cy Youngs in this series. This is just ****ing great. Good luck to your Tiger and go Giants!!!!:mug:

I've been a Tiger fan for 50 years. As a kid I would listen to the games with my dad. We had a daily ritual of keeping the box score on notebook paper. My wife grew up as a Tiger fan. We watch or listen to just about all games. Been a fan trough the 100 loss seasons. The up seasons are a bonus. I was at a 1968 World Series game. So yeah, I'm stoked. Glad I don't have to wait till 10:07pm for the games to start, like during the regular season, when the Tigers play on the west coast.

The runner on 2nd was called out for interference. The umpire ruled that the base runner should have vacated the area to allow the fielder to make the catch. This is what would happen anywhere in the field of play. The twist here is that if the runner allowed room for the fielder to catch the ball he would be called out since the fielder would have made the catch standing on the bag. The next day the umpires told both managers that it was an incorrect call and that it should have been ruled a non play. In other words the correct call should have been that the batter would return to the batters box, the runner would still be at second, the ball, strike count would be the same as it was before the play took place. It was a play that no one has ever seen before. God, I love baseball. This is the second time in the last 8 day's I've seen something that I haven't seen in my 50 years of watching.

I call BS on that. By MLB Rules, the runner does NOT have to vacate the legally occupied base, however, he cannot intentionally hinder the player trying to make the catch. If the umpire judges intentional hinderance, with less than 2 out, the runner and batter are out, if 2 out, the batter is declared out. If the runner is not judged to have intentionally hindered the play, it is simply a live ball. [MLB Rule 7.08(b)]

I call BS on that. By MLB Rules, the runner does NOT have to vacate the legally occupied base, however, he cannot intentionally hinder the player trying to make the catch. If the umpire judges intentional hinderance, with less than 2 out, the runner and batter are out, if 2 out, the batter is declared out. If the runner is not judged to have intentionally hindered the play, it is simply a live ball. [MLB Rule 7.08(b)]

MLB Rule 7.08(b) was the argument used at the time. However the Umpire felt that the runner obstructed, since he was not looking for a way to avoid hindering the fielder. There was no argument from the defense that the batter should have been called out also. The umpires convened because of the appeal and did not change the call, I think because because the ump wasn't sure what to call. They decided overnight, probably with help from thee Umpires assoc. That next time they will just call a do over. It was bizarre watching it live.

Wow...Verlander is hittable (even by Zito who got an RBI!!!), Panda joins the 3-post-season-homers-in-one-game crowd (alongside Pujols, the Babe & the Reg), and Scoots ties the all-time Giants' post-season hitting record....

These guys kick ass. :D

Wow...Verlander is hittable (even by Zito who got an RBI!!!), Panda joins the 3-post-season-homers-in-one-game crowd (alongside Pujols, the Babe & the Reg), and Scoots ties the all-time Giants' post-season hitting record....

These guys kick ass. :D

I couldn't watch the game but I'm very disappointed. I think that maybe the Tigers underestimated the Giants and the heat they would have coming off a win just a couple of days ago. But from what I've read online and seen in highlights, Verlander looked either nervous or lacked confidence from the get-go. Which is an awful thing to see in any pitcher. Here's hoping the Tigers show up to play Game 2

And to quote my cousin, "This just in, the Tigers missed their flight to San Francisco. The Lions were in town being dumb, so they filled in. Now back to the broadcast"

Yeah, it seemed like Verlander started falling apart when Detroit's batting coach approached the mound (can't remember his name). There was a laugh, a stern look, and then an outside fastball for Panda's second tater...not a good idea to approach a star pitcher in a WS situation when it's only 2-0 and one on base. Best of luck tomorrow, though.

Easily JV's worst game all year. Seems like that (un)lucky bounce off third got into everyone's head. Watching Young in LF makes me want to cry. The Giants just kept on driving with all the momentum they had coming off the NLCS. I'm calling the game tonight to be the deciding moment for the WS. If the Tigers can get it together and bounce back they will still have a chance to take it all.

I don't think it was his worst outing. I think he had 2 bad games previously and in one he got hit more often (IIRC).

Tigers batters need to be more patient. The home run hitters were taking swings on some bad pitches.

SF hitters were certainly doing well, even on some not-so-juicy throws.

The lucky bounce off third base didn't help Verlander's cause either. Kept the inning going with 2 outs.

Wow...whatever Bummy worked on in the last week certainly paid off tonight. 8 K's with 2 hits and a big, fat 0 ER's. I think Detroit's RP problems are starting to creep up though, because Fister pitched just as well (though the higher pitch count forced relievers to come in earlier).

The Giants certainly are doing everything right that they can. Tigers look so rattled at the plate. Poor Drew looked like he was about to cry on the mound. They definitely were improved from game one. Still have more to go but most of my hope is now lost. Sad face.

Giants have played very well. They got most of the "luck" in the two games so far and look to be having a good time. Tigers have to relax and be a bit more patient at the plate if they want to win this. I think (hope) that coming home to Comerica will help them do these things.

If they had held Fielder at third, the whole game would have changed. Now I'm not saying I would have done that, due to the poor pick-up off the wall, but the sweet relay from LF picked him off. Better to have the runners on with nobody out than risk losing that man on third and having that extra out. Or maybe if Fielder had slid head first and reached out with his arm... With his shape he probably would have just rolled home.

I enjoyed last night much more. Good close game with some good pitching. I'd like to see more balls get put in play though.

Giants have played very well. They got most of the "luck" in the two games so far and look to be having a good time. Tigers have to relax and be a bit more patient at the plate if they want to win this. I think (hope) that coming home to Comerica will help them do these things.

If they had held Fielder at third, the whole game would have changed. Now I'm not saying I would have done that, due to the poor pick-up off the wall, but the sweet relay from LF picked him off. Better to have the runners on with nobody out than risk losing that man on third and having that extra out. Or maybe if Fielder had slid head first and reached out with his arm... With his shape he probably would have just rolled home.

I enjoyed last night much more. Good close game with some good pitching. I'd like to see more balls get put in play though.

You have got to hold Fielder at third. I mean seriously a 275 pound man scoring from first on a double? With no out you have got to be 100% possitive that there won't even be a play at the plate. It helped my Giants and **** happens and you got to play through it if you're the Tigers, but thy was bad.

Back