American IPA Hopslam Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I threw the ingredients in beer calculus and here is what I came up with. Keeps the proportions right, and assumes a 70% efficiency.

10 lb 12 oz Pale Liquid Extract (70%)
2 lb 2 oz Vienna Malt (14%)
12 oz Caramel 20 L (5%)
8 oz Gambrinus Honey Malt (3%)
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3%)

12 oz Honey (5%) (late addition for flameout)

Estimated OG: 1.098
Estimated Final Grav: 1.025
SRM: 10

Estimated abv 9.7%.

Not sure what to do about the SRM, or the hops that are FWH in the all grain.

Can anyone else help out??

Having recently converted to All-grain, let me see if I can help you and your wallet out.

1) Brew this batch as a partial mash. Very simple to do.. Go to Lowe's and get a paint strainer poly bag. Sub out the some of the pale liquid extract for some Maris Otter or British Pale Malt grain. Put all your grains together and mash for 60 min. PM me direct if you need help on this. This alone will lower the SRM.

2) You can sub the crystal 20 for crystal 10 and put the extract in during the last 15 min of boil. It will pasteurize but won't contribute as much color.

3) This brew will cost you $40+ in extract alone... ouch.

Dry hopping now and bottling this weekend! Looking forward to this one. Followed the original and used honey.

I made 10 gallons of this on Sunday and 5 ended up on the ground. A moment of silence please.

64871_10150594857995843_621185842_9807582_1223804236_n.jpg
:eek:
...and I thought I had bad luck with this when it blew the top off and covered my ceiling with yeast. My condolences.

Bought all the ingredients for this recipe today. Well, all ingredients minus the honey malt (just plain forgot it!). Looking forward to brewing this one up next weekend.

Can I sub in extra honey for the honey malt? I bought a total of 32oz of honey, so I was thinking I could just add maybe another few ounces of honey to replace the .5lbs of honey malt.

Also, any preference as to what to dry hop with?

Bought all the ingredients for this recipe today. Well, all ingredients minus the honey malt (just plain forgot it!). Looking forward to brewing this one up next weekend.

Can I sub in extra honey for the honey malt? I bought a total of 32oz of honey, so I was thinking I could just add maybe another few ounces of honey to replace the .5lbs of honey malt.

Also, any preference as to what to dry hop with?

I went back to the home brew store yesterday and picked up the 1/2lb of honey malt, so scratch my earlier question.

I'm still interested to hear any opinions on what hops worked best for dry hopping. Any takers?

Thanks for posting, sounds great.

I'm thinking of scaling it down so I can do it as a BIAB in my 9 gal kettle. Sadly I don't have Beersmith, so no easy button. I'm thinking maybe 4 gallons into fermenter. I'm toying around in Beer Calculus but it doesn't seem right. Any recommendations?

The SO will freak if I can reproduce anything close to Hopslam.

Voodoo_Child said:
Thanks for posting, sounds great.

I'm thinking of scaling it down so I can do it as a BIAB in my 9 gal kettle. Sadly I don't have Beersmith, so no easy button. I'm thinking maybe 4 gallons into fermenter. I'm toying around in Beer Calculus but it doesn't seem right. Any recommendations?

The SO will freak if I can reproduce anything close to Hopslam.

Hopville. I BIAB with a keg and it's all I use. Beersmith is overkill for me.

I'm brewing this up this weekend. Looks awesome. One question, though. I notice you say to ferment for 21 days, and dry hop for one week. Is the dry hop done after the 21 days, or during the last week of fermentation?

So, I dry-hopped today, and I plan on kegging in 7 days. If I crank the co2 to a higher psi, do you think it will be well carbed enough for drinking two weeks later?

I never really have a problem carbing at like 10-12 psi (@38°) for 2 weeks and then serving.

Sokol21 said:
So, I dry-hopped today, and I plan on kegging in 7 days. If I crank the co2 to a higher psi, do you think it will be well carbed enough for drinking two weeks later?

You can try 20psi for 3 days or shake it for 7 minutes at 30, turn down to serving pressure and let it settle over night.

Going to brew this next week. Will be using the Honey in place of the sugar. I'm also planning on cloning the yeast out of 12 of bells lower gravity beers (haven't decided which one yet, I need to look this up). Will pry just build it up over the course of a week using my stir plate. Anyone know what beer of bells is the best to get good quality yeast out of and if that is in fact the same yeast used in hopslam? Ive heard they use 1 strain of yeast for all but I've also heard they have 3-4 strains they use depending on the type of beer. Any changes or tips anyone has brewed this would like to share? thanks

I think I've heard people having success with Bell's Amber. I'm just now building a stirplate and wondering what your process is for stepping up, if you don't mind. How many times, how many ml?

I'm really looking forward to brewing this one.

Your right about the amber, I read the email that is provided in the post above that is said to be from bells directly. They say the Amber is the one to use.

This is my first attempt at this so I'm no authority on the process. I'm sure someone on here has much more experience than me.

You can calculate your starter size using this calculator

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast-tools.php

But basically the process is the same as building any liquid yeast starter. Build a small low gravity wort, add the dregs from a few bottles. Let that ferment out. Cold crash and decant off wort. Restart the process. Then continue until you have the size starter you require.

anyone with more experience that would like to chime in would be greatly appreciated.

As for the use of honey as opposed to the sugar... What kind of honey do you guys suggest. Took a look over at northern brewer and they have 5-6 different kinds all with different flavors and profiles. Ive never used honey before so was just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

Yowza! Brewed this 2 weeks ago and pulled a hydro sample today it's sitting at 1.015. That puts it at 11.2% It is absolutely delicious! I was little nervous as this was my first DIPA and with the amount of hops in the recipe. This beer has a HUGE malt backbone to compliment all of those hops to perfection. I love Hopslam, and as a couple others have noted, this might be better!

Thanks for the recipe schweaty! :mug:

Brewed this last night... Really excited about the taste of the final product as the sample that went into the fermenter was amazing... this huge sweet malt flavor and then *BAM* huge bitter punch in the face and a nice, long, lingering bitter.

Very stoked about this.

Brew session was all over the place though. I forgot to lower my efficiency for a nearly 20# grainbill, so, I was short about 7 points pre-boil, ended up adding about 22oz of DME to hit target, and then ended up about 1.096 out of 1.099.

Also, I normally use pellet hops, but I've still got some Amarillo leaf, and I always have trouble draining with leaf. Next time I use this leaf, I'm bagging that stuff. Half of the wort went through the place chiller, the other half was dumped through a nylon bag and then used my back-up immersion coil.

Pitched a 1056 yeast cake into 5 gallons of this and 12 hours later and I'm already getting blowoff pushing out of a 6.5 gallon carboy...

A friend is going to see about getting some Hopslam bottles from out-of-state since we don't get this beer in Texas.

Thanks for the recipe; I'll follow up with pics and results in about 4 weeks.

I want to make this for the fall. Did those who made it use a hop spider or bags for the insane amounts if hops added? And what about the dry hopping? I've never brewed a beer with this amount of hop additions. Thanks for the recipe.

I want to make this for the fall. Did those who made it use a hop spider or bags for the insane amounts if hops added? And what about the dry hopping? I've never brewed a beer with this amount of hop additions. Thanks for the recipe.

I've always used bags or spiders; and I would urge you to do so here as well. For the dry-hop, depending on your fermentation container, I would suggest a bag of some sort. My last experience with a 4oz dry-hop in a carboy loose left me with about 1 gallon of beer that I couldn't siphon. Bagging in a glass carboy can be tough as getting it back out can prove difficult. There was a thread that talked about using nylon stockings and the neck of the carboy to "squeeze" the beer back into the chamber as you pull it out.

I haven't done that myself, but I might try it with this one given the large dry-hop dose as well.

We have brewed this teice with no starter and dry yeast... everything turned out great... What advantage does the starter do again...

Bells recommends using yeast from Amber Ale or Best Brown Ale to clone Hopslam as they share the same yeast.. They say the yeast in the bottle is the fermentation yeast but the high ABV in Hopslam probably makes it a poor choice for culturing. They specifically mention Winter White Ale as one that does NOT use the same yeast as Hopslam.

LouBrew13 said:

I use a spider for sure. For the 3oz of dry hopping I just dumped the pellets in. After about five days they were settled to the bottom. No problem.

I just got done chefing this one up. Had to substitute alot of different hops due to the hop embargo but stayed as true as I could to the recipe. Tasted fanominal in the raw going into the fermenter. Can't wait till its done. Love the grain bill on this. The only regret is not doin 10 gallons... Thanks for the great recipe....

JJ86 said:
Planning on brewing this up next weekend and using honey. Anyone have a recommendation for type of honey?

I just used 32 oz of regular clover honey from the grocery store. Turns out it's about 1.4lbs by weight exactly.

moonpig said:
The 2 oz Amarillo and the 2 oz of Simcoe that you have listed as 0 boil minutes Hop Steep. How long do you steep these and I assume this is done at the end of the boil at flame out.

This is a good question and was never answered. I'm making this on Saturday and would also like to know. No simcoe so made some substitutions. Thanks.

LouBrew13 said:
This is a good question and was never answered. I'm making this on Saturday and would also like to know. No simcoe so made some substitutions. Thanks.

For me, I do about 5 or 10 minutes plus chill time. I cover the boil kettle, wait 5 or so and then start transfer through plate chiller... I don't recirculate but do a one pass so the wort in the kettle is hot until it's in the fermenter.

For my 5.5 gallon batch, total time is between 10 to 20 minutes.

Yeah.. we flame out... hops in, and then prep a couple of things, clean some stuff, chores, etc... then transfer...

Well I am brewing this one up again tomarow. I usually do not ever make the same recipe but it has become my 67 year old hop head fathers favorite. I make the beer and he makes the wine in our family. This time I wont make the same mistake and only brew 5 gal. And brew 10 instead. . . Pipe-line is runnin low :guzzle:

LouBrew13 said:
3 ounces dry hop...please settle out.

Cold crash should help, rack with a hop sack or 1 gallon paint strainer bag rubber banded to the end of your racking cane or out tube ;)

I just made a batch of this yesterday. I missed my OG by quite a bit, but I'm going to chalk that one up to crappy all-grain process because I'm fairly new to it. It ended up around 1.083, which should be good enough. It smells amazing and is bubbling away right now.

I'll probably try this recipe again once I get my process down, but I'm still really excited to see how this one turns out!

I threw the ingredients in beer calculus and here is what I came up with. Keeps the proportions right, and assumes a 70% efficiency.

10 lb 12 oz Pale Liquid Extract (70%)
2 lb 2 oz Vienna Malt (14%)
12 oz Caramel 20 L (5%)
8 oz Gambrinus Honey Malt (3%)
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3%)

12 oz Honey (5%) (late addition for flameout)

Estimated OG: 1.098
Estimated Final Grav: 1.025
SRM: 10

Estimated abv 9.7%.

Not sure what to do about the SRM, or the hops that are FWH in the all grain.

Can anyone else help out??

Hey Southside,

Is this to be brewed with the same hop schedule as the AG version? And for the Vienna, Cara, honey, and dextrine, are they just steeped as specialty grains for 30 min, then a 60 min boil with late addition 10 lbs of lme and honey at flameout? Sorry for all of the noob questions, i've been out of the game for a bit.

Was looking for a good IPA to brew up for Xmas, it looks like simcoe and citra hops are mostly unavailable.. Is there any good sub for these? If not I guess this recipe isn't worth tackling for now as simcoe seems to be the main hop! Thanks in advance for any info :)

Back