just uncovered hops, do they look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straycat

Reaction score
buried all winter under leaves etc. anything to do? clip or let them ride?
thanks!

hopsspring47132.jpg

I would let them get green and let them grow just a little then determine which ones get strong or stay weak. Go from there, but they are looking good so far.

beerloaf

I would add a layer of compost to both protect them, hold moisture and add slow-release nutrients.

thanks for the responses beerloaf and wrench. i was just surprised to see them looking more like a creature from the deep ocean as opposed to a green plant. i'll get some compost and add a nice layer. thanks again.

Plants need sunlight to make chlorophyl. Given a few days in the sun, they'll green right up. That being said, there is a great deal of energy stored up in the root system, so being covered for a short amount of time won't do them any serious harm. However, I would amend my previous statement to suggest adding a thin layer of compost (~1") for now. You don't want to make their job of finding the sun any harder, but you do want to feed and protect them. Then add some more in a few weeks when they've grown a bit.

Yeah those hops look really healthy. The white are the hops rhizomes which were covered and acting as roots.

thanks for the advice, i'll add the thin layer of compost now and add to it as they shoot up. didn't harvest much last year (first year) but i'm hoping for a nice bounty this year. thanks again.

Add compost/mulch. The white is your bines. As they extend above the mulch they will turn green. Once they are up is when you'll decide which ones and how many to keep.

Back