Bulk grains online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
Where is everybody buying their bulk grain from. I can find good prices on it online but shipping makes it ridiculous. The LHBS are about an hour away and their prices are more than shipped prices from some of the better online stores. How do you guys deal with this?

Buy a pallet at a time from North Country Malt. It's only 2,310 pounds (42 bags).

Get 10 friends to commit to 4 bags each, and you take the two extra. They have a flat shipping rate which to Texas came to about $5.46 a bag. Hops & chemicals get to ride on top for free.

North country malt quoted me about $17 for shipping on a 55lb sack of grain. For base grains at around 30 bucks a sack, it works out to about 85 cents a pound for me. I'm in Maine, which isn't too far from NY where they're located, so YMMV.

Perhaps if you mentioned where you were located, people could give you better suggestions, because of course shipping is the real killer, and proximity makes all the difference.

I'll second Ed's suggestion. I did a group grain buy earlier this summer and now have 600 pounds of grain. I'm slowly working my way through it. 2-row pale came in around $25 after shipping.

OMG! I couldn't dream of how long it would take me to go through all that grain...... then again i don't do all grain. I think 1 bag would satisfy me for at least a year. Just not going to get into all grain any time soon. Mother would flip at me if i buy more equipment... lol. But I need to pay debts off.

But those prices dont sound too bad. I was actually surfing a few days ago and dont remember where it was but it wasnt far off of $20-30 I think. it was Briess branded grains.

DeadDoc said:
OMG! I couldn't dream of how long it would take me to go through all that grain...... then again i don't do all grain. I think 1 bag would satisfy me for at least a year. Just not going to get into all grain any time soon.

I remember saying that about 3 months ago.....:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Kayos said:
I remember saying that about 3 months ago.....:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

yes... but i dont want to piss off the people who give me a place to stay and all. I need to start doing 2-3 other jobs.

You come stay with me, young fella. If the missus wonders why you're here, just tell her that you're helping me save money on beer and smile lots. She'll probably sigh and feed you with the rest of our brood. As long as you brew good beer, you can sleep on the floor next to my bedside. The dog doesn't brew at all. He's outta there.

Fingers said:
You come stay with me, young fella. If the missus wonders why you're here, just tell her that you're helping me save money on beer and smile lots. She'll probably sigh and feed you with the rest of our brood. As long as you brew good beer, you can sleep on the floor next to my bedside. The dog doesn't brew at all. He's outta there.

HAHA. I'm starting to make good beer... but then again I also just started making beer recently.

Try local brew pubs or small micros. I'm pretty lucky to be tight with a local brewer I just piggy back my order on theirs and pay what they pay! I pay just under $20 a sack for 2 or 6 row pale. and a little more for domestic specialty grains.

krispy d said:
Try local brew pubs or small micros. I'm pretty lucky to be tight with a local brewer I just piggy back my order on theirs and pay what they pay! I pay just under $20 a sack for 2 or 6 row pale. and a little more for domestic specialty grains.

Yeah my brother suggested that for getting yeast being that there are quite a few in the area here. Become good friends with the brewmasters and definitely share some beer to help the trades.

EdWort said:
Buy a pallet at a time from North Country Malt. It's only 2,310 pounds (42 bags).

Get 10 friends to commit to 4 bags each, and you take the two extra. They have a flat shipping rate which to Texas came to about $5.46 a bag. Hops & chemicals get to ride on top for free.

Hmm. any NC brewers, Raleigh, Pinehurst, Laurinburg, Interested in a Pallet? Possibly SC? I am in Pembroke regularly.

Baron? Walker? anyone else ?

I would take 4-6 bags.

Back