FG Reading after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzofo1

Reaction score
After 2 weeks in the fermentation bucket my FG reading is at 1.026. I took a reading 1 week into the fermentation and the reading was 1.028. It seems like the fermentation after 2 weeks has stalled or finished.
I was planning on bottling tomorrow. But I dont think it's ready. Should I wait another week and take another reading? According to the brew kit my FG should be at 1.019. How can I get my FG down to 1.019? Time?

People will probably want to know what kind of beer you're brewing and what kind of yeast you're using, and what your ferm temps have been..etc...FYI.

Generically (and I'm pretty green so if somebody who KNOWS says not to listen to me..well..listen to them) speaking. I'd say you need another gravity measurement to know if it's done or not. I just had a bucket come back alive on day 15 in the primary, so unless you're certain the ferm is stuck..then it's probably not.

We still haven't heard the details about your beer and you yeast, but in general i would say don't bottle with it at 1.026. Get the beer up towards to top end of the yeasts fermenting range. Once its warm you can also swirl the fermentor around to bring some yeast back into suspension.

Hopefully this will wake the yeast up again and drop your beer a few points.

There should be a bed of CO2 over the beer from fermentation so you shouldn't need to worry about oxidation if you swirl the fermentor

Sorry for getting back so late.

OG was 1.068
Yeast was WLP001
temp between 68-70F
Beer is American IPA
not sure on the grain bill.

This is the ingredients that you used, or the extract kit that you made, etc...

This is the ingredient kit. The grains were crystal, honey & bisquit malt. And using columbus and amarillo hops. dry hopped 1oz of columbus last week (beginning of 2nd week of fermentation as per instructions.

Give it another week and take a reading. It may come down a few more points. From an OG of 1.068 to 1.026 in two weeks the fermentation is not stuck, but may be finished. The 5-6 points really are not a huge difference here, but waiting another week will let the yeast clean up more and may drop the gravity further. The benefit will be a cleaner, better tasting beer. Cheers:)

What was the estimated OG from the kit instructions?

OG of 1.068 using the Cali Ale yeast it should come down to around 1.018 to 1.014. 8 points off isn't terrible but I would think it would come down a little more. It will all depend on the temp you pitched, temp you fermented, pitching rate, etc. If any of those were not what the yeast like, your FG will be a little off.

I would wait a couple of days and take another reading. If it stays the same, take it again the next day. If it is still the same then you fermentation is done and you are good to bottle/keg. As long as the beer tastes good, I wouldn't worry about the FG being a few points higher than expected.

Did you make a starter for the yeast? If not, it will probably take a long time to get down to a reasonable FG. I certainly wouldn't want to bottle at 1.026. You may be able to help thing along a bit by adding a packet of US-05, but I'm not going to guarantee that.

-a.

Back