Another Newbie Needs Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManCaveMan

Reaction score
Hey all,
Another nube here diving into the obsession. After a lot of hem-hawing, researching and lurking these boards I bought this
And THB's 10th Anniversary IPA kit. This isn't my official first brew but the first on my own after only assisting once before many, many years ago.

So the questions, has anyone ever brewed this particular kit? How was it? Any deviations you can think of from the included instructions? I can send the instructions if anyone reads this and is interested, they're too big to attach.

There are a few particulars that I'm concerned about...to secondary or not to secondary? The instructions say that after the ferm is done (only a couple days is what it says?) that its ready to bottle, make an Oak Tea, mix in priming and bottle it. No mention secondary or dry hopping? Being my first batch, I'm inclined to follow the instructions and leave the experimentation for future batches since creativity always is a little more rampant after a few good home brews right?. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of at least leaving in primary for 3 weeks and bottle (dry hop or not?) or secondary for a few weeks with adding the oak and maybe dry hopping on the last week? But being a complete ******* to this, I might be thinking all wrong. Reasoning is that with the primary open another batch can get going and get a better quality out of the 10th Anni IPA. Again, open to and welcome any thoughts even if it's just "what a ass hat".:cross:

I'll likely being bottling this first batch because it was hard enough to get my lovely, beautiful, best wife in the world (she might read this :))to let me start this madness. But will eventually turn the deep freeze that is never used to a kreezer monster of some kind.

Kit should be here tomorrow, thinking of brewing Saturday or Sunday so if anyone is in the area (middle of nowhere KS) and wants to have a couple crafts and laugh at a new guy let me know.

BTW, this is a great board. Thanks to all that make it that way and I hope that I'll be able to contribute to the next generation of home brewers down the road!

Hey man,
I've never brewed the kit you have but as with most kits they may recomend secondary whether it's necessary or not. I personally think it's in an attempt to get you to buy one more carboy. IMO you don't NEED to secondary. You can safely leave your beer on the yeast cake for 4 weeks without any trouble. Some people dry hop after primary fermentation is complete (when gravity stabilizes) in the same vessel. Others prefer to dry hop in a secondary to get it off the yeast. The latter method will increase the risk of contamination during transfer.

So it's up to you whether you want to secondary your beer. Just know that you don't have to just because the instructions say so.

As for dry hopping, I think it really helps an IPA. Much better aroma and an overall better beer. Again though, this comes down to your personal preference. Since you are just starting out it may be better to keep it simple and skip this step for now. The more variables you introduce, the harder it will be to troubleshoot your beer if it doesn't come out right.

I've never tried "oak tea" so I can't speak to that.

Your plan to leave in the primary for 3 weeks is solid and is a better idea than bottling after a couple days. Don't bottle until your gravity is stabilized. If the gravity is still dropping you are still in primary fermentation. Bottling before primary is complete could lead to bottle bombs or off flavors.

Good luck.

Many thanks Sarrsipius! Good thoughts on the troubleshooting afterwards. I think I'll follow the directions for the most part but definitely wait until the gravity has stabilized.

I'll keep the board updated on how it goes.

Sarrsipius/endquote

Your full name isn't Sarrsippius Sulemain Jackson III, is it?

I definitely would NOT follow the instructions. Follow the directions given on the sticky at the top of the beginners forum. They are much clearer and have some pointers that aren't in your kit instructions. My first was a kit, those directions mentioned nothing about proper yeast pitching temps, proper grain steeping temp etc. if you follow those instructions, your beer will be better.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction!

Latest posts

Back