Moving to albany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
So I am moving to Albany new york in two weeks....

For those of you that live there or around there, hows the beer scene? Any good home brew clubs to join? What local breweries and brew pubs do you reccomend?

Also, I am big into hiking and camping... I assume I won't be disappointed with the area?

There's a really nice homebrew shop in Rensselaer/Troy (Hennessy Homebrew). He's got virtually everything you could ask for. +1 to the Pump Station, as well.

Brown's in Troy is the best brewpub I've ever been to out of close to 100. I absolutely love that place. Within decent driving distance, there are a ton of good breweries and brewpubs to visit. I don't know where you are coming from, but Albany is also the last speedbump in the road before the great Adirondack region. If you don't already know this, make sure you get up there as much as possible. It's good for the soul! ;)

At all costs, avoid the student ghetto (area near western avenue in downtown part)! I went to school in Albany and work there now (about a 30 min commute for me).

Glenville Beverage has an awesome selection of craft brews. One of the best in the area - Glenville Beverage - Scotia, NY - Reviews - BeerAdvocate

You won't be disappointed in hiking. Some great places to go locally -

Thatcher Park - LocalHikes - Thacher Park - Cliff Top & Indian Ladder Trails

Christman Sanctuary - LocalHikes - Christman Sanctuary

If you want to drive out further, there's always the Adirondacks high peaks as well as Schohaire Valley. Since I haven't attempted the high peaks yet, here's some of my favorites:

Vroman's Nose - LocalHikes - Vromans Nose Loop Trail
It's a great place to go for Fall colors. Super quick, about 30 mins to complete and the Carrot Barn is near by. One of those farmer market-type eateries that serves sandwiches, doughnuts, and yes, carrot cake!

Vanderwacker Mountain. Really awesome views of the high peaks and crazy amounts of dragon flies near the fire tower. LocalHikes - Detailed Hike Information

Back