Mold on the fruit in my primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j33p4x4

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of mead (JAOM-like) two weeks ago. I just checked on it earlier today and some of the raspberries floating on the surface appear to have clumps of mold on top. Everything smells great, with no rotten smells or anything so I don't plan on dumping it... I was just wondering if it was normal to get some molds on the surface, or if I should look into it more. There never was a huge start to the fermentation; its just been slowly bubbling ever since it started four or five hours after I pitched the yeast.

It sounds like you have fermentation, but you should never have mold. You should have been pushing your fruit down on a bi-daily basis. You should pull some to the fruit out and verify that it is mold, it may not be. It is very possible with a slow ferment and not pushing down your fruit, that you could have mold... Live and learn right?

Thanks for the info on mixing in the fruit like that; makes sense to keep it mixed in to avoid mold, I had used the 'set it and forget it' method. I pulled the top off to get a better view and feel silly now... I did pull out some of the 'questionable' things and realized that it was just some of the raisins that I had put in. Here are some of the pics to show what I saw, it looks much better once I had a clear view of the top. Oh well, like you said, live and learn, hopefully I still have a good brew going and didn't mess it up.:drunk:

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2573.JPG

LOL, yeah the first time I saw rasins that had fermented for a few days I about lost it too! Who knew they'd look so terrible. Glad it worked out for the best.

I'm thinking that just be clumps of yeast that have formed and dried out on top.
If not, you have a nice lambic going on.

I double checked it. In 2 of the jars has black mold on top of the fruit. I didn’t read that I need to poke the fruit down until after it had formed. And what is lambic??

Back