Pumpkin Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
So far -- My favorite commercial pumpkin beers are Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, Dog Fish Head Punkin Ale, and Southern Tier's PumKing.

Anyone else have some favorites?

Rick

Just bought a few single bottles the other night. Did not like Shipyard. Tried Fegley's Devious Imperial Pumpkin, Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin, River Horse's Imperial Pumpkin, Smuttynose's, and one other. Had DFH a bunch of times.

Liked Weyerbacher's probably the best.

Shipyard makes another pumpkin (pumpkinhead) that is pretty good. It's light (in body and color) and spicy. It's not to die for, but it's my standby "cheap" pumpkin ale.

Brooklyn makes one called Post Road that gets a lot of credit, but I think it's awful. Not spicy, not a great color, and hops are the most present taste. None of these, to me, are desirable in a premier pumpkin ale.

Shipyard makes another pumpkin (pumpkinhead) that is pretty good. It's light (in body and color) and spicy. It's not to die for, but it's my standby "cheap" pumpkin ale.

Brooklyn makes one called Post Road that gets a lot of credit, but I think it's awful. Not spicy, not a great color, and hops are the most present taste. None of these, to me, are desirable in a premier pumpkin ale.

I've yet to have a Brooklyn beer I thought was worth drinking.

I'm a little crazy about pumpkin beers. I'm actually waiting on my husband to get home so we can head out to get our DFH Punkin. We also have an in with the local Southern Tier distributor, so I think we're getting a case wholesale w/ an employee discount if the PumKing. I love New Holland's Ichabod. Also, new this year from Starr Hill is a pumpkin porter called Boxcar. I love love love it. We've already killed a couple six packs of it.

Maybe I'm weird, but I refuse to drink pumpkin ale or oktoberfest until the weather cools off and its at least late september. Can't do it in August, too early.

My favorite pumpkin beer is any one that's spilled all over the ground and rendered undrinkable.;)

g-star said:
Maybe I'm weird, but I refuse to drink pumpkin ale or oktoberfest until the weather cools off and its at least late september. Can't do it in August, too early.

Hey, it's been in the low 80s in Virginia this week; the weather has cooled off.

Winking Lizard(restaurant /bar) serves DFH on tap and rims the glass with brown sugar.
It's actually pretty good that way.

baron said:
Winking Lizard(restaurant /bar) serves DFH on tap and rims the glass with brown sugar.
It's actually pretty good that way.

Winking Lizard is my favorite bar in Cleveland! I love that you brought that up. And I had DFH there last year with the brown sugar rim. It was different, but I agree it was pretty good!

g-star said:

No you are weird -- I know a lot that say the same thing.
I'm not drinking any Pumpkin Ales or Oktoberfest today-- it is supposed be 96 with. Heat index of 100+.

baron said:
No you are weird -- I know a lot that say the same thing.
I'm not drinking any Pumpkin Ales or Oktoberfest today-- it is supposed be 96 with. Heat index of 100+.

Sorry g-star.
I meant "not" weird. Texting got away from me.

cimirie said:
Winking Lizard is my favorite bar in Cleveland! I love that you brought that up. And I had DFH there last year with the brown sugar rim. It was different, but I agree it was pretty good!

Glad to see some restaurants finally offering a better selection beers on tap.

They have just opened a couple of pizza places here in Columbus -- mellow mushroom.

Surprisingly good selection of beers on tap.

BrewThruYou said:
Just bought a few single bottles the other night. Did not like Shipyard. Tried Fegley's Devious Imperial Pumpkin, Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin, River Horse's Imperial Pumpkin, Smuttynose's, and one other. Had DFH a bunch of times.

Surprised u didn't like Shipyard-- I thought it had a more pronounced pumpkin flavor

baron said:
Glad to see some restaurants finally offering a better selection beers on tap.

They have just opened a couple of pizza places here in Columbus -- mellow mushroom.

Surprisingly good selection of beers on tap.

I like Mellow Mushroom (we've got a ton here in Florida) but knowing they have stooped so low as to open one in Columbus, I will never eat or drink there again.

Signed,

A very proud Wolverine

Apendecto and KayaBrew:

May the Great Pumpkin descend upon you, flog you until you are too weak to cry, and then remove your tongue forcibly from your mouth for such blasphemy!

I like Mellow Mushroom (we've got a ton here in Florida) but knowing they have stooped so low as to open one in Columbus, I will never eat or drink there again.

Signed,

A very proud Wolverine

Oh great a Wolverine!!

Time for Michigan jokes:

Q: How do you get a Michigan grad off of your front porch?

A: Pay him for the pizza.

baron said:
Oh great a Wolverine!!

Time for Michigan jokes:

Q: How do you get a Michigan grad off of your front porch?

A: Pay him for the pizza.

Buckeyes should never get into a discussion on educational standards. It brings up too many painful and complex topics like spelling and long division. Now ethics on the other hand... oh wait that's not right either...

I do hear you get deep discounts at local car dealerships, though, so that's cool.

I love football season!

BrewThruYou said:

Tried the Weyerbacher's last night--
Very good.

Southern Tier is hands down my pick for best pumpkin.

Keep hearing lots about it. I had it on draft maybe 3 years ago...will pick up some bottles this season.

Tried the Weyerbacher's last night--
Very good.

It is very good. I ended up buying a case of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale for $39 instead of a case of Weyerbacher ($59). Kinda regretting the decision, but I generally don't spend over $40 on cases. If the beer costs that much, I usually buy single bottles instead.

Southern Tier Pumking is my favorite. This years isn't as good as last though. I have bought a few bottles the last couple years and it's always worth it.

I've never seen a pumpkin beer in the UK, maybe with some searching I could find one but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't.

So obviously had to brew my own today! Couldn't find pumpkin so used a squash that was very similar.

Was worried about stuck sparge after doing lots of reading and can't get rice hulls here but I found this to be one of the easiest wort collections I've done.... odd. Saying that the store crush is only good for around 75% efficiency at a push and I made a 40% wheat hefe a couple of weeks ago with no problems.

Revvy said:
Oh My God. I just tried Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin for the first time and It's the best I've ever tried. It taste like a pumpkin pie in a glass. WOW.

Agreed. Smashed pumpkin blows ST pumking out of the water

Agreed. Smashed pumpkin blows ST pumking out of the water

Yeah, Pumking was OK, but this is 10,000 times better. I also have a bomber of Heavy Seas Great Pumpkin, which I've never tried before, but it will have to wait to tomorrow...I can't feel my face as it is. :)

I consider myself a pumpkin connoisseur, I've tried quite a few. Ichabod by new holland, and O'Fallon's Pumpkin are two of my favorite.

Smashed was my winner this year bought three bottles even.Although i was a little disaapointed in the 2nd and 3rd bottle than the first slightly.Even said it was my favorate, i really thought Lakefronts pumpkin lager was a standout,of the rest of the pumpkins i tried the rest were so-so to decent.Didnt get to try some of the other good ones like ichabod.I didnt think the heavy seas oktoberfest was much but didnt get to try their pumpkin.
The absoulute worst was Shipyards pumpkinhead for me without the spice it may have been a good beer but with the spice it was cola.I liked shocktops pumpkin wheat much more than that one.Completely underating them at first.
I was pretty surprised how well most of the pumpkins i tried were pretty good, wish i got ahold of sheflyas(sp? from MO) pumpkin,it was always sold out before i could try it. Oh well they have other very good beers.

Back