Sparkaloid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewerone

Reaction score
I am very impressed with sparkaloid. I was tryn to find a good clearer for my wine. I made 3, 5 gallon batches of strawberry wine. I put 2 1/2 TSP of bentonite in when I started the batch. I then added 1/2 TSP of Gelatin Finings at the beginning of the secondary. After after about two months the wine had not cleared. I then ran it through a Buon vino mini jet filter. After all that the wine still wasn't fully clear. Then came Captain Sparkaloid. I added 1/3 oz (4TBSP) to 1/2 cup of water at 180F then stored for 30 secs before adding. In just 12 hours the wine was clear. I added the sparkaloid to 2 of the batches and Super-Klear to one of the batches. Both Sparkaloid batches have cleared ;however, the Super-Klear batch has not fully cleared yet. I'm not giving up hope yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sparkaloid is all that I use. Just keep in mind that while the wine or mead looks clear sparkaloid is super efficient. What that means is that in a week you'll see gunk on the bottoms of the wine that you've bottled.

When I use Sparkolloid, I try to give it two or more weeks to settle. As Tim says, it'll continue to drop the real fine sediment for a while even after it looks clear.

I've had a ginger mead fermenting just over 1 year (racked 4 or 5 times). Used raw unfiltered honey which itself was very cloudy, and fermented with dry champagne yeast at a little too high a temp. Cold crashed it all last winter in the garage, but it still isn't clear. I'm in no hurry since it tastes a bit alcoholly but I want to free up the carboy it's in, so I'm bottling soon.

Going to cold crash it again in a fridge and see what happens, but I also just bought some sparkaloid as a back up plan, which I have a feeling will be necessary. I'll give it a bit to settle out all it can before I bottle. Thanks for the posting!

barleyhole said:
I've had a ginger mead fermenting just over 1 year (racked 4 or 5 times). Used raw unfiltered honey which itself was very cloudy, and fermented with dry champagne yeast at a little too high a temp. Cold crashed it all last winter in the garage, but it still isn't clear. I'm in no hurry since it tastes a bit alcoholly but I want to free up the carboy it's in, so I'm bottling soon.

Going to cold crash it again in a fridge and see what happens, but I also just bought some sparkaloid as a back up plan, which I have a feeling will be necessary. I'll give it a bit to settle out all it can before I bottle. Thanks for the posting!

What is cold crashing and how does it work?

What is cold crashing and how does it work?

In so many words, putting your beverage in a cold place, (i.e. refrigerator) will help in settling out the majority of the sediment in your beverage, including the yeast. Simply reduces the haze. There will still be enough yeast in suspension for carbonating, if you were going to make a sparkling cider or something.

Back