Moved... 2 Extract Kits in and my beer sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFaden

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I was brewing a bunch before I moved. The beers I made were pretty good, but then I moved. Since I have moved the 2 extract kits I have done have been horrible and I can't figure out why. The beers are watery, have no body, have no flavor, and taste fairly medicinal or just chemically. The kits are from Austin Homebrew Supply. I have gotten kits from them in the past and don't think it has anything to do with them, but I can't figure out where the problem is.

The one I just brewed was a Stormcastle Brown Ale Clone. I followed the instructions to the letter. SG was right on, and I had full krausen in about 7 hours. When I did my transfer to the secondary today I tasted a bit and it is horrible. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the water? It tastes fine? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If the water is the only part of your process that has changed, that could very well be the problem. Could the Ph be diffrent, is it "town" water (chlorinated) anything like this can make a huge difference.:rockin:

If the water is the only part of your process that has changed, that could very well be the problem. Could the Ph be diffrent, is it "town" water (chlorinated) anything like this can make a huge difference.:rockin:

pH here is a little different. Maybe I should brew a batch with bottled water. The water is drinkable though. And yes it is chlorinated.

I'm inclined to go with the water difference, but that might just make your beer not-as-good, rather than flat-out-suck. Are you fermenting at the same temps?

Not really sure... I think it may be slightly warmer here. Maybe I should move them to the basement.

When I first started brewing I did it in my kitchen and I had nothing but problems, 3 beers in all infected. I moved out to the garage and went to full boils and my problem went away. I really think there was some wild yeast in my house duct work that was blowing out when the heater/ac came on. Make sure your not near any vents and turn off the heat/ac once you get to the chilling of the wort.

VB

When I first started brewing I did it in my kitchen and I had nothing but problems, 3 beers in all infected. I moved out to the garage and went to full boils and my problem went away. I really think there was some wild yeast in my house duct work that was blowing out when the heater/ac came on. Make sure your not near any vents and turn off the heat/ac once you get to the chilling of the wort.

VB

Hmm.. This was outside and I am pretty careful...

Bottled water def tastes better. I use spring water. And,after the water in my BK steams for a while,I have to cover it to get it to boil. I also cover it from the time I start steeping the flame out hop addition,then adding the LME,to chilling in an ice water bath. Never leave the kettle uncovered any more than I have to.
It's been just fine so far...:ban:

Back