Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original recipe only has a 60 minute addition. AFAIK the bittering hop flavor won't come through much, so the right amount of cascade would work fine.

I've got 0.50 oz of Cascade and 0.50 oz of Centennial pellet hops in the freezer and I'm wondering if I can use these in this recipe. I was thinking about:

0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) 9.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) 8.7 IBU

I brewed this up for a friend a few days ago. If possible, he could use it in two weeks. This would essentially be 18 days grain to glass. If I did this, do you think I should keep it on the primary for 14 days and then age for 4 days... or... 10 days on primary and 8 days aging before he serves it?

BullFrog said:
I brewed this up for a friend a few days ago. If possible, he could use it in two weeks. This would essentially be 18 days grain to glass. If I did this, do you think I should keep it on the primary for 14 days and then age for 4 days... or... 10 days on primary and 8 days aging before he serves it?

I'd say if you're shortening the whole process, keep the beer on the yeast cake for two weeks. Rack it to a keg with gelatin and chill it. 30psi for 30 hours and taste test for carbonation. Should be pretty clear and clean tasting by then.

Quick question. Mine's about done. It's at 1.06 after a week. Should I wait two weeks or just wait until it hits FG to keg? Or just keg now?

Thanks.

I'd say if you're shortening the whole process, keep the beer on the yeast cake for two weeks. Rack it to a keg with gelatin and chill it. 30psi for 30 hours and taste test for carbonation. Should be pretty clear and clean tasting by then.

Excellent - thank you.

While taking a gravity reading I found that things were still pretty cloudy, so decided to rack to a secondary to try to help clear the beer up. Gravity is at 1.008 and it tastes fine, but it smells like a fart. Not too powerful, but it's not very appealing. Since I'm planning on sharing this brew with friends over Memorial Day weekend, I dry hopped with 3/4 oz Willamette to give it a little hop boquet. I know I'm probably just freaking out and need to RDWHAHB, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I'm Brewing this one up now. Noted the color out of the mash tun was like B.M.C., nice and golden and had great flavor to boot! my gravity into the boiler was 1.042 we'll see what happens after the boil.When I went to the LHBS I got the flaked rice even though I had purchased the minute rice maybe I'll use the minute rice next time.
Thanks for this one BierMuncher, SWMBO's going to love it!

In the Fermentor now, as it turns out this is the best efficiency I have goten to date. Eff. into boiler came in at 89.73%, Eff. into fermentor came in at 74.96% :ban:
Thanks again! :mug:

How long is every one letting this age out for?

BM says 14 days at 68 in primary then 10 days in keg.

I am planning on doing about 2-4 weeks in primary, basically just whenever I get the time (and bottles) and then the basic 3 weeks for carbonation.

I think earlier in the thread people were talking about having to cold condition it for a while to get rid of a corn flavor, but I don't remember what post or page that was on.

Even without a flavor to cold condition out I think this beer could benefit from a long time in the cold to help get it crystal clear, and gain some more crispness

How about a Cream Of Saison??
I made this recipe once before and it was great.
I decided to use this as a base for a Saison (with minor mods.)
6.5# 2-row
1.5# Wheat Malt
1.0# Flake Maze
1.0# Flake Rice
0.5# Flake Rye

Lemon Zest & Grains of Paradise
WYeast 3711
Mash #151 for 75 minutes and = Excellent

How about a Cream Of Saison??
I made this recipe once before and it was great.
I decided to use this as a base for a Saison (with minor mods.)
6.5# 2-row
1.5# Wheat Malt
1.0# Flake Maze
1.0# Flake Rice
0.5# Flake Rye

Lemon Zest & Grains of Paradise
WYeast 3711
Mash #151 for 75 minutes and = Excellent

sounds great how much lemon zest and grains of paradise did you use

I used a pack of the lemon peel from the LHBS and a pack of the grains of paradise.
I also zested 2 lemons as well right at flameout.
I also forgot to put in that I added 0.8oz of candy sugar.

Tastes Great and looking forward for carbonation. Carb'd with 5.3oz of corn sugar.

I'm going to keg 5 gallons as is and dry hop the other five with new Zealand hallertauer hops. Is already tasting bmc-ish. Gonna be great for the golf course. Thanks Biermucncher.

This is probably a dumb question, but what makes this a "cream" ale?

My basic search told me that a cream ale is either a top-fermented Kölsch or an ale that is pressurized with nitrogen. Is it some combination of the ingredients or the yeast?

My basic search told me that a cream ale is either a top-fermented Kölsch or an ale that is pressurized with nitrogen. Is it some combination of the ingredients or the yeast?

the mouth feel that the corn adds is what makes this a cream ale!!!

Haha, I brewed Jamil's version of a Cream ALe, but used the hop schedule in this recipe. Ended up finishing way lower than I thought 1.008. Now I have a 5.6% Cream Ale.. oops.

Haha, I brewed Jamil's version of a Cream ALe, but used the hop schedule in this recipe. Ended up finishing way lower than I thought 1.008. Now I have a 5.6% Cream Ale.. oops.

Did you use the cane sugar? I haven't brewed this recipe but I assume it is supposed to end up with a low FG.

turtle said:

This is discussed in the cream ale podcast and if I remember correctly they had no clue where the name came from. Jamil stated that he has received a few samples while judging this category that were flavored like a cream soda because people thought that was the style.

This is discussed in the cream ale podcast and if I remember correctly they had no clue where the name came from. Jamil stated that he has received a few samples while judging this category that were flavored like a cream soda because people thought that was the style.

So I shouldn't be using this as a creamer for my coffee?

Mine's been cold crashing and carbing for about four days. I can't resist sampling though. Mighty tasty. The new Zealand hallertauer adds some nice flavor to this one. Can't wait to try the dry hopped. Version. Thanks Biermuncher. This will likely be a regular around my bar. Cheers,

funny story....

wife and I gave away bottles of grape mead this last christmas to friends/family/coworkers. one of her coworkers got it and said "OOh, yummy. I'm gonna put it in my coffee" my wife kindly explained this was not a good idea. If I had been there I would've taken the bottle back.

Dude, you will love this beer. The original is a great session beer. You can throw in some of your favorite hops as well to dry hop. I threw in an ounce of NZ Hallertau on mine. It's friggin delicious. I love being able to make two different 5 gallon brews at a time.

Thanks Biermuncher. This is going to start off my summer right!

Just about done boil, hit preboil SG RIGHT ON hada target of 1.040 and had a 1.42 sg

whoo hooo so far so good in the fermenter waiting for the yeast to do their thing

So, because I don't have a mash tun, could i make this a partial mash (5.5 gallons) and just mash the corn and rice together in my brew pot and then add lme in place of the 2-row? Something tells me that won't work.

So this is going to be my 5th batch, first all grain, I ordered 6 pounds of Belgian pale ale crushed from northern brewer, Would be the same thing as pale malt?

@Pandaren: No you can't mash with only the corn and rice because neither of them have the diastic enzymes needed to convert the starches to sugar. Some people have already suggested using diastic powder to accomplish a partial mash version, but I don't think anyone has posted results. There is an extract version somewhere on the forums, but if you're comfortable with a partial mash, I say just go ahead and make this your first all grain batch. It was mine and the beer was a big hit with my friends over Memorial Day weekend.

Ya, that's what I thought :(. Well, don't have a mash tun and don't have the means or time to get the stuff to build one. The closest Home Improvement shop to me is about an hour away. So, what I think I'm gonna do is, since my brew pot can comfortably hold about 5lbs of grain, is rock 1.5lb 2-row, 2.5lb corn, and 1lb of rice. Think that's enough pale malt for the corn/rice? If not, then I'm gonna be the guinea pig and try using diastic powder to make up for the rest of the needed enzymes. :)

So, because I don't have a mash tun, could i make this a partial mash (5.5 gallons) and just mash the corn and rice together in my brew pot and then add lme in place of the 2-row? Something tells me that won't work.

You can mash in your brewpot, but I think you will need some amylase enzyme. I would crush about 4 beano tablets and add to the mash for about 60 min. if you don't have any base malt to put with it. The LME has already been denatured.

Back