So I picked up this old a$$ freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I bought a kelvinator ice cream freezer off craigslist on the cheap and now I'm working on plans for a collar (more of a crown) with taps.

not exactly like this but you will get the idea

http://cleveland.ebayclassifieds.co...ator-1948-model-ice-cream-cabinet/?ad=4155571

So my problem is the freezer has about 4-5" "shoulders".

I'm thinking I will need a pretty tall collar and I'm planning to move the collar to load kegs.

I'm trying to figure out the best/easiest way to build and insulate this. I was thinking about buying sheets of foam board insulation and filling the collar.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Any way you could post a pick of the one you've got with some arrows or something showing where you're planning on running your taps? I'm a little foggy on the details on this thing... How many hinged doors does this thing have? Seems a bit more complicated than the typical chest freezer build. I'm sure its doable I just need some clarification before I can offer any advice. Thing looks like its gonna be a bear to move kegs in and out of though.

That's a nice unit. My kegerator is a 1941 kelvinator refrigerator. It is quiet, and still works great. Only advice I would give is to open it up and replace ALL the electrical wiring. Mine was just crumbling to dust and there were exposed wires near the compressor.

Fid - sorry no pics, my membership ran out. If you look at the link it is almost the same freezer as the one I have. It has 2 compartments each has its own lid that hinges in the middle and they come off completely, the lids just set on top.

I loaded 5 kegs in. no problems at all.

I'm thinking this is going to be more of a giant Irish coffin box. 2ft by 2ft and 1 ft tall. So far my plan is to fill the box with the board style insulation running the lines through some PVC and leaving some open space to disassemble and clean.

thanks TX!

keez.jpg

Still needs to be cleaned up but there she is ^

The plan is to build the collar for the large compartment. Its going to be 9-10 inches tall with 2 taps (for now).

Back