Looking to build a wind shield -- metal type? bending? stability?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peripatetic

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have a Banjo Burner that I like a lot, but the flame is essentially unprotected. Any slight breeze can affect the effectiveness of the flame, and a medium breeze can blow it right out. I brew outside, I should mention.

I want to build a simple wind screen. It only has to be 18 - 24" tall, with a gap at the bottom to allow air in. It should also be pretty stable because of, you know, the wind. I was thinking a cylinder or two half-cylinders made of bent pieces of steel would work perfectly. I was thinking each half of the cylinder could have 3 sides, so the end result would be a hexagon -- does that make sense? Would a square be better? Also I have never bought or bent steel, and I have never welded anything. (and I don't really want to buy a piece of equipment that I may never use again just for this.)

So, a multi-part question:
1) how would you go about building a stable wind shield?
2) where would you get the raw materials? I can't find anything like "steel sheets" on Lowe's website, although of course that doesn't mean they don't have it under some other name.

Thanks!

Home depot and Lowes both sell sheet metal by the sheet. cut it to size , drill and just use poprivets to hold it together. Round would be easiest. Wear heavy gloves.

Home depot and Lowes both sell sheet metal by the sheet. cut it to size , drill and just use poprivets to hold it together. Round would be easiest. Wear heavy gloves.

How would I leave a gap at the bottom? Just cut out holes?

Also (and sorry for the simple questions), what does one use to cut it? Can simple snips work, or do I need a cutting torch or something like that?

Finally, what is the different between a "rivet" and a "poprivet"?

Thanks!

This one works for me. Cheap, mobile, and easy.

IMG_01391.jpg

Looking to build a wind shield -- metal type? bending? stability?

Maybe it's just me, but if you make your windshield out of metal you're going to have to hang out head out the window to see where you're driving. :D

It is indeed a window well that I bought at the home improvement store (Menards). I can't remember how much is was it ended up being less than buying metal sheet goods and I didn't have to do anything to it. When I'm not brewing, I use it to keep my garbage cans in place. :D

Back