Brewing 1 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanoBrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have the space for 5 gallon carboy in my new apartment, so I plan to use a 1 gallon glass carboy now.

How do I convert a 5 gallon recipe for a 1 gallon batch? Do I simple divide the ingredients by 5? Will this work for the hops?

Are there any other factors that I need to consider before I brew my first 'nano batch'?

Thanks

That's all you really need to do. I wouldn't change the yeast amount though. Just pitch a packet or vial and you won't have to worry about a slow start.

The easy way to scale down a recipe is to use ProMash. You can take any recipe and lock the ingredients to batch size. It will scale a recipe down to a 1 gallon batch size.

Using Beertools.com is easy too. It's pretty simple and free. You can insert the quantities and it will tell you the bitterness, color, abv, etc.

What about doing 2.5 gallon batches? I use an old mr. beer plastic fermenter and (believe it or not...) it works great and is easy to store cuz it sits on it's side.

anyway, good luck.

cheers.

On second thought, I decided that 1 gallon is a little too small (it's just not economical). So, I picked up a 3 gallon glass carboy today, and it fits under my kitchen counter perfectly!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

You have a bathroom and a shower right? If so you have room for 5 gallons of homebrew :) I simply take it out when I shower...

sirsloop said:
You have a bathroom and a shower right? If so you have room for 5 gallons of homebrew :) I simply take it out when I shower...

Sounds like a great idea to me, but I'm not sure my wife would go for it.

Back