temp problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesathinks

Reaction score
I've got temp problems.

Getting four batches ready for an end of August B-day bash and we happen to be in the only hot time of year in the Northwest. Just bottled two batches that fermented in the 70-85 range, jacketed with wet towels part of the time. Fast fermentation of 12 & 14 days to bottle but pretty much done after 10. They seem to have made it (at least the gravity reading samples all tasted fine). Now I'm at a loss where to store for conditioning. The house holds way to much heat- jumped to 85 one day. Figured the garage as it has more ventilation and drops with the outside temps (60-70 evenings and nights), but still might hit an occasional 80+ during the day.

Will I be running the risk of all of this going bad?

the period where you have to worry about temps is the first 2/3 of fermentation. Bottling...you should be okay. I guess. "70-85 range" sounds very sketchy in the first place.

You are way out of range on temperature. You could have produced excessive esters and/or fusel alcohol which makes beer taste harsh. You need a refrigerator and an external temperature control to maintain these ranges to make consistently good beer. Right now you have no control at all. There are many articles about this subject on the web.

Ale = 65F to 68F
Lager = 50F to 53F

Ref: Ranco controller

the period where you have to worry about temps is the first 2/3 of fermentation. Bottling...you should be okay. I guess. "70-85 range" sounds very sketchy in the first place.

+1 on this... Temp control and the production of fuesils is really at it's most crucial within the first few hours of fermentation not at bottle conditioning/carbing. Find the coolest, darkest space possible and leave them....

You could of you are concerned put the bottles in milk Crates and put them into something like this;

fermenting.jpg

And then with ice bottles you could contain the temp in the low 70's during bottle conditioning....but like Evan said it's crucial during primary fermentation, not really so much at bottling.

You could of you are concerned put the bottles in milk Crates and put them into something like this;

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/fermenting.jpg

And then with ice bottles you could contain the temp in the low 70's during bottle conditioning....but like Evan said it's crucial during primary fermentation, not really so much at bottling.

Better yet: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=60288 . It's much easier to keep temperatures controlled and stable with this type of setup than with a non-insulated tub. Perfect for ales and hybrids. My beers have been much better since I built myself one of these.

Better yet: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=60288 . It's much easier to keep temperatures controlled and stable with this type of setup than with a non-insulated tub. Perfect for ales and hybrids. My beers have been much better since I built myself one of these.

I get mine down to the high 50's with my setup....even though it's non insulated....so I'm pretty happy with it.

I've had my eye on the design from greenboard for awhile, except I'm waiting to lay my hands on an insulated cooler that can hold 2 carboys comfortably, and doesn't cost an arm an a leg....if I find one garage sailing or somthing then I plan on rigging it up...

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. Will read the referenced threads and work on it. I did some research and the wet towels as jackets brought the temps down 5-6 degrees and most of the early 4-5 days was more like 68-70.

I have the refridge control- just not the refridge, so that will be my solution long term.

In reference to Evan's comment, "70-85 range" sounds very sketchy in the first place." that's because the northwest during the summer we will have low 50-60's and then pop up in the 80's during the day.

cheers!

Just checked out the ice cube cooler and it looks right on. Yeah the temps caught me by surprise, we have been buzzing along in the low 70's highs so far this summer and it's back to that now, just had a few days last week through the weekend that jumped up to the mid eighties.

I actually own that cooler so I'm going to go convince the wife that she should get a newer she was eying the other day with a split lid :cross:

Thanks again!

Back