I ask for Nottingham yeast and they give me Windsor...big deal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. Notty's a bit "cleaner" (fewer esters) and usually attenuates a bit more. I'll tend to use Notty on things like APAs and English pale ales, and Windsor on something like a brown ale or a porter. What's the recipe? It may or may not matter all that much depending on what you're brewing (they're both excellent yeasts).

Where you try to order from? It sounds like Nott has a big shortage. your american ale should be just fine with windsor though, just be sure to rehydrate it. i didn't have the best luck with just pitching it.

Boil a cup of water, let it cool to 90-100 covered, pour in yeast and recover. I usually will do this while my wort is boiling, just use a piece of foil to snugly cover the top of whatever you are using.

The manufacturer of Nottingham dry yeast has been out of stock for about a month and they can't give me a date when it will be available. All stores should be out of stock by now.

Forrest

Strange. Danstar was at NHC in Cinci and every attendee got a packet of Nottingham and Windsor in their welcome bag. That's like a thousand packets of each. I wonder if that had anything to do with the shortage?

It pays to pick up a couple packets everytime you are at your LHBS.

YeastStash.jpg

im brewing a centinneal blonde which is a recipe by BierMuncher...its in the American Ale section in the recipe database

In my experience, Nottingham and Windsor are significantly different yeasts...Notty is much cleaner, drier and is far more flocculant. Seems like an odd substitution, I'd go with US-05 or even S-04 before Windsor, particularly with a blonde ale that is supposed to be crisp and clean.

Hey BierMuncher...it's your recipe, what would you pitch if you ran out of Nottingham?

In my experience, Nottingham and Windsor are significantly different yeasts...Notty is much cleaner, drier and is far more flocculant. Seems like an odd substitution, I'd go with US-05 or even S-04 before Windsor, particularly with a blonde ale that is supposed to be crisp and clean.

Hey BierMuncher...it's your recipe, what would you pitch if you ran out of Nottingham?

+1 on substituting with Safale -05. Windsor is not a good sub at all as your beer will have a very different character.

Folks have been asking me for my Haus Pale Ale and I'm recommending Safale -05

notty works great for me. as mentioned before it's Super Clean. but i also use it if i have a stuck ferm. its like rocket fuel. i usually need a blowoff tube with it.

Any word on when nottingham is going to be in stock? I've been to two different LHBSs and it it seems everyone online is out.

Back