liquid exo-alpha amylase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanmcginnis

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing and saw this liquid exo-alpha amylase at the local brewshop, what is this product used for

It's used for converting starch to sugar, in cases where your base malt doesn't provide enough enyzmes to handle all the starch in your mash.

I wouldn't mess with it, particularly if you're a beginner. IMO, it's far more likely to damage your beer than help it.

can it be used to convert flaked rice or corn in to fermentable sugars for an extract recipe, or added to a secondary fermenter to lighten a beer

Hold whatever you are mashing at 157 degrees and add... Totally not necessary if using any amount of base malt so far as flaked ingredients make up less then 30% of the total grain bill. It will do nothing in a fermenter as it is just a source of alpha amylase (unless you ferment at 157F) most likely made by bacteria (exo) rather then malt (endo)...

If you wanted to be a goofball and make an all corn beer(or whatever) could you with it? I'm sure it'd be nasty, maybe even vile, but for sake or arguement could you puree 20 cans of corn and toss some liquid exo-alpha amylase in it, mash for an hour, sparge and use this wort to make alcohol? I see cans of corn for thirty cents from time to time. Listed ingridents are water and corn, plus some bugs and rat parts... heheheh 20 cans would be $6. HA!! Might be worth it for a good laugh! Call it Cornball ale! HA!!

Grim that is one of the most vile and disgusting things I've heard of today. I think I may try it.

Hmmm... Porkfelwein and corn ale. That almost sounds like a complete meal. Perhaps an asparagus stout could go with it for the green vegetable.

If you wanted to be a goofball and make an all corn beer(or whatever) could you with it? I'm sure it'd be nasty, maybe even vile, but for sake or arguement could you puree 20 cans of corn and toss some liquid exo-alpha amylase in it, mash for an hour, sparge and use this wort to make alcohol?

Which prison are you in? ;)

Back