what kind of car should I buy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm might be in the market for a new car..I have an 2003 Maxima SE. I really love the car but it has 160,000 and starting to feel alittle worn..It still looks very nice. Black on black... Fully loaded..You can't beat it, but i'm getting that new car bug and this year i might part with it. Any suggestions? I can go as high as the mid 40's.

Bulls Beers said:
I can go as high as the mid 40's.
Due to the war, the mid 40's were bad years for cars. A 1940 Chevy Deluxe Coupe makes a nice ride, though.

ggkc302.jpg

Ok, seriously...what kinda car are you looking for? Economy? Power? 4 doors? Utility?

Anticipating starting a family, SWMBO and I bought a 2006 Hemi Durango. It'd be a fantastic family truckster, and it hauls ass, too. We love it. Gas is kinda spendy, though.

If you're anything like my Father in Law, you're going to miss the Maxima before long. 160K ain't that many miles for that car either. FIL's last one went over 250K before he traded it in on a lease return with about 25k on it. He's now at about 150k and going pretty strong, but it does have some rattles.

I guess I should of mentioned what style..No SUV's, to much gas..I'm on the road alot so no gas guzzlers. Comfort is important, that''s why i like the maxima.Very comfortable. It does suck alot of gas. I spend about 30 to 35 a day on gas.. That blows.

Yuri_Rage said:
Due to the war, the mid 40's were bad years for cars. A 1940 Chevy Deluxe Coupe makes a nice ride, though.

ggkc302.jpg

Ok, seriously...what kinda car are you looking for? Economy? Power? 4 doors? Utility?

Anticipating starting a family, SWMBO and I bought a 2006 Hemi Durango. It'd be a fantastic family truckster, and it hauls ass, too. We love it. Gas is kinda spendy, though.

My customers would love to see me roll up in that..:rockin: My sales would probably go up..

1975 Trabant.

Do it!

trabant.jpg

The Trabant was affectionately known in West Germany as "Spark Plug with Roof" (Zündkerze mit Dach) because of its small size.

olllllo said:
1975 Trabant.

Do it!

trabant.jpg

The Trabant was affectionately known in West Germany as "Spark Plug with Roof" (Zündkerze mit Dach) because of its small size.

I take alot of clients out to lunch.Some of them wouldn't fit in that thing...:D

Mercedes C230 Kompressor - above 2003. You can find them under 30k with less than 40,000 miles and they get above 30mpg and still drive and feel like a Mercedes. Just throwing that out there.

Klainmeister said:
Mercedes C230 Kompressor - above 2003. You can find them under 30k with less than 40,000 miles and they get above 30mpg and still drive and feel like a Mercedes. Just throwing that out there.

I need something that's either new or with low miles. I put alot of miles on a car.

Bulls Beers said:
I take alot of clients out to lunch.Some of them wouldn't fit in that thing...:D

You haven't taken me out to lunch yet!

I was in a nice Volvo last month. Whenever I blast out to NY to see Spawn I usually rent a car for the ride. Much better to put the thousand miles on someone elses car for the short money it costs. I don't remember the model but I was very impressed witht what a nice ride it was.

PTN

paulthenurse said:
You haven't taken me out to lunch yet!

I was in a nice Volvo last month. Whenever I blast out to NY to see Spawn I usually rent a car for the ride. Much better to put the thousand miles on someone elses car for the short money it costs. I don't remember the model but I was very impressed witht what a nice ride it was.

PTN

I guess i owe ya, since you were such a nice host last month...Sorry i couldn't make it last week. I hope i can get a rain check..I had fun the last time..

Yeah. I like the Volvo S80. That's a nice car..I forgot about that one..

That was it, the S80. Very nice ride.

I was only busting you about the lunch thing. You missed a good time last week, we brewed my 888, Chris brewed 10 gallons of a strawberry blonde and then I did 5 gallons of a mild from the spend grains from the 888. And we drank a lot of Chris's beer.

paulthenurse said:
That was it, the S80. Very nice ride.

I was only busting you about the lunch thing. You missed a good time last week, we brewed my 888, Chris brewed 10 gallons of a strawberry blonde and then I did 5 gallons of a mild from the spend grains from the 888. And we drank a lot of Chris's beer.

Fuk...Sounds great..I just couldn't get there. I'll be ready next time..Hopefully soon.

Well the first question is what about another Nissan? I would recommend the new Altima with the 3.5 VQ engine. Its fast (same engine as 350Z), attractive (if you like Carlos Ghosn's styling which I do) and has pretty nice comforts as well. If you want to step it up a bit, go with an Infiniti G35, same engine, just much classier.

If you want something different, I would recommend either the new accord (which I think has some of the nicest lines in a sedan I have ever seen!) or the new Malibu. Now personally I have a lot of bad things to say about GM, but everything I have read about the new Malibu is that it is the best thing to come out of Detroit since the first Corvette! It just won car of the year from Motor Trend as well.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions! When Im not posing as a homebrewer, I also spend time as a car nut;)

Well since its a japanese car you should clearly drive it for another 2,000,000,000,000 miles as they can easily go that long. just ask any die hard foreign car driver.

i know i know. tell me how they are completely assembled here in the US.

talleymonster said:
1966 Lincoln Continental.

Gotta love those suicide doors.:rockin:

000085-200709-000001big.jpg

Gotta love the Rev!

ReverendHortonHeat.gif

I've got a licoln continential
lord you know thats right
I've got a licoln continential
Lord you know thats right
gold chrome wheels paint cloressant white
goin out to california to see the roadster show
sogovia, texas 12 hundred miles to go
i've got a lincoln continental
Lord I don't drive slow
its got suicide doors (suicide doors)
shes got three hundred horses
four-twenties under her hood
shes got three hundred horses
four-twenties under her hood
when I put that pedal down
it'll jerk your head back good
yea
lord you know its straight
lord you know its straight
i've got a deal on my lincoln
one thats really first rate
i've got a deal on my lincoln
one thats really first rate

These lyrics were found at ActioNext.com.

talleymonster said:
1966 Lincoln Continental.

Gotta love those suicide doors.:rockin:

000085-200709-000001big.jpg

:off:
Not to rain on your parade. But, there ain't no suicide doors on a 2 door Lincoln. I do admire your thinking though.

Bulls, I'd agree with some of the other folks who recomended the german super cars. A Mercedes or BMW or even a VW. All pretty comfortable and well built.

Go with what you know. You had good luck with the Nissan, stick to it. I owned a Honda Civic and Accord for years, then jumped ship and got a Dodge Intrepid. So-so car, spent more time in the shop than any of my Hondas combined ever did and all in all, it just wasn't worth the extra money I paid for it. I went back to Hondas.

Currently own an '06 Accord and am completely satisfied. Gets ~34-36 mpg. city, 40 mpg. hwy. I really like the look of the new '08s.

Oh, and stay away from the VW Beetle.

Rhoobarb said:
Oh, and stay away from the VW Beetle.

Yeah, and unless you're a 24 year old trixie living in the city for the first time, stay away from the VW Jetta.

I have to second the Accord. I have owned many types of cars from many makers, and my 07 V6 sedan is top class. Milage is okay, but it is solid. My one friend traded in his BMW for an Accord because it was silly (according to him) to pay the insurance and maintenence for that car when an Accord was as nice and cheaper.

I was in you exact situation last year and came out to the Accord. It was 10-15K cheaper than the other cars I was looking at.

I'm partical to Hondas myself. My next vehicle will be a Honda Element (say what you want, I love the thing!).

That said, my current Malibu is a decent car. It was the first Chevy that did me proud past 100K. It's got decent interior space (for a sedan), decent (but not great) mileage and the price isn't bad.

Honestly, if you like your Maxima, which it sounds like you definitely do, I would just go back to the Nissan dealership and test drive a new Maxima, and also a couple other Nissan models just for fun. Why mess with a good thing?

Otherwise, if you're bent on a different model (which I can understand, I like to mix things up!) I would take a serious look at Volvo's, Infiniti's, and also check out the Pontiac G6. All are under 40k. If you feel really spanky, go gitchoo a Saab 9-5. It's about the size of your Maxima, but GOD ARE THEY FUN.

Seriously, I'm a huge Nissan fan, they make really well-made cars. You like the one you have, so I'd look at a new Maxima before anything else out there.

It would be at the top of your price range, but I would look at the Infiniti M35. Infiniti and Nissan are one in the same, so I would imagine you would feel right at home in one. Plus, they are pretty awesome cars. Someone else mentioned the G series, but if comfort is a big deal for you, I would not recommend those cars. They are more sporty and powerful, not meant to be driven long distances.

What uglygoat said, but skip the Kia's. Sorry, I just can't stand them. They consistently produce poorly-manufactured, unreliable vehicles IMO.

Hyundai, on the other hand, is what Kia SHOULD have been. Well-made, cost-effective, great warranties, generally pretty reliable. I very VERY nearly bought a new '06 4-dr Sonata with a manual, before I wound up buying my '00 Mountaineer. I would've gotten better use out of the Sonata, in hindsight.

Azera's are very pretty cars, my (super-rich) boss bought one for his wife, and she loves it.
800px-2007-Hyundai-Azera-DC.jpg

I've not seen the 1-series before! It's such a cute widdle Bimmer! Awwww!

No Hyunda for me. I remember when they first came out and they sucked. I'm picky when it come to the cockpit dash area. I don't like the Maxima's dash..I like the infinlty,but it's just a dressed up Maxima for 40 grand.IMO..I like the Volvo. I'm gonna check out the S80 next week. The 08 Honda's are pretty nice. With the 6 cylinder it has more horse than my car and my car in fast..And for under 30K

bigjohnmilford said:
:off:
Not to rain on your parade. But, there ain't no suicide doors on a 2 door Lincoln. I do admire your thinking though.

Oops. dumb mistake. I didn't relize that I posted a pic of a 2 door.:eek:

Honestly, Hyundais are not what they were 20 or even 5 years ago. While you're out shopping stop in a dealership and drive a Santa Fe, Veracruz, Sonata or Azera. I bought a Santa Fe recently and was amazed at the quality.

hyundai-santa-fe-gls-20061211042448608.jpg

Hyundai-SantaFe-conv-01.jpg

Back