Might have a problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Coming home from upstate NY on Monday, SWMBO and I came across a farmstand selling cider. I got a case of 6 gallon jugs for $15 bucks. Pretty good deal, I thought so I grabbed it. Got it home and dumped 5 gqallonsinto a pain and sprinkled on some D47 and nothing happened. I know I should have rehydrated the yeast but I was half in the wrapper when I did it so that didn't happen . I waited and wiated and finally just chalked it up to being too cold on the porch last week, so yesterday I picked up more D47, made a starter and got it going pretty good and dumped it in. I was sitting on the couch later on, watching the game and I was struck by a thought, went to the frige where the remaining gallon was and found out what I was afraid of. "Treated with Potasium Sorbate."

Am I hosed? Is this stuff ever going to kick? Absolutely no activity today.

Any thoughts?

paulthenurse said:
..................>"Treated with Potasium Sorbate."

Am I hosed? Is this stuff ever going to kick? Absolutely no activity today.

Any thoughts?

Yep, you're hosed. Folks call it a "stabilizer". Inhibits yeast activity. (snuffs 'em) I use the stuff myself to do bacterial culture tests in my homebrewery. Sorry.... :(

I think I bought the wrong stuff too! Mine is treated with Potasium Sorbate!! :mad: Doe's anyone else have any comments weather this is ok or not? It says contains 1/10% Potasium Sorbate on the label.

Nope. It's not OK, unfortunately. Potassium sorbate is a preservative: it preserves the juice by preventing micro-organisms from growing in it. That includes the yeast that your want to be there to ferment it. From what I've read there's no really good way to get rid of it, but I could be wrong.

You might as well enjoy your juice (hot mulled cider? Popsicles?) and scout around for some untreated cider to ferment. Pasteurized cider is OK, as is cider with ascorbic acid in it (vitamin C), as long as it doesn't also have potassium sorbate or other preservative in it.

Latest posts

Back