Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentclint

Reaction score
If I put priming sugar in a keg, instead of using CO2, would it work? If so how much priming sugar should I use for 5 gallons?

lumpher said:
many of us prime with sugar, then seal the lid with a kick of co2. i use 3-4 oz of sugar

Does it carbonate withou the use of CO2? Or do I have to buy all the other equipment?

It will "carbonate" but it won't come out of the keg without pressure to force it, hence the need for CO2 tank, regulator and hoses.

the initial co2 is to seal the keg lid. without it, you can't be sure the lid is sealed. you also use it to drive out the 02, so it doesn't oxygenate. it's not necessary, but it sure does help. and yes, you will need all the other eqpt to use it

it'll carb naturally while aging. then, when ready to drink it, you just need to cool it overnight, instead of cooling it, then carbing it on co2 for 1-2 weeks, then drinking

lumpher said:
it'll carb naturally while aging. then, when ready to drink it, you just need to cool it overnight, instead of cooling it, then carbing it on co2 for 1-2 weeks, then drinking

So it sounds like you let it sit for a few weeks to carbonate then you add in the CO2 tank pressure and drink. Thanks for the help.

Back