All Kegs are aluminum???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I asked the guy at the dump today if they ever get any stainless steel kegs brought in. He said ALL kegs are made of aluminum unless the are really, really old. Huh? Were we talking about different things maybe?

How much does a keg weigh btw? He said if he has any he would sell it for $.40 a lb.

There are no more alumium kegs. They wouldn't said up to the beating that the distributors put on them. They are SS. I'm not sure how much they weigh but .40 cent a pound sounds about right. When I took the Lakefront Brewery Tour they said that kegs SS too so I think the guy at the dump is wrong.

Kegs are 304 stainless. Maybe some OLD ones were aluminum, but if he wants to sell them for .40/lb, buy two. Make sure to release pressure by depressing ball so you don't pay for liquid. Sanke kegs form major brewers have been stainless for a long, long time.

They are stainless... and by the way... 300 series SS goes for over $1/lb these days.

I definitely wouldn't correct him if he thinks they're aluminum. If he found out how much stainless was worth he might up his price...$0.40/lb is a steal! Also, I think an empty keg weighs about 32 pounds.

He is most likely basing his assertion that they are aluminum because a magnet wouldn't stick to it. Most grades of stainless will exhibit some magnetic permeability in the areas where it was cold worked, like sharp bends for example, but overall stainless is not magnetic.

I agree with the poster above, if he is in the business and doesn't know that stainless is not magnetic, it's not your job to educate him. Buy as many as you can for $.40/lb!

Alright, I was hoping he was wrong. Now I just have to keep checking back there. No idea when he will have any and there ain't no way he will bother calling me when he gets some.

I can't wait! Hope some come in soon. :rockin:

I have to share this with someone. Looks like it's you guys. Saturday morning was our town's volunteer Spring clean-up of the ditches by our streets. Ya, I live in a "rural" area. I spent 3 hours cleaning half a mile of the street I live on, won't describe everything I picked up, but the prize was an old toilet and tank.

When I took my pickup-load of trash to the town hall to put it in the garbage truck stationed there, I spied a 1/2 bbl Sanke sitting by the recycled steel dumpster, covered with a winter's worth of rosdside dirt. Asked the truck driver (casually as I could) what's up with the keg? He says, "you want it?" Being sort of honest, I said, "Sure, I'll give you $20 for it". He says, "Ah, take if for free, saves me picking it up". You can probably guess by now, I took it for free, and left fast before he changed his mind.

So, now I have the starter kit for my second keggle , for nada, well, maybe really for 3 hours labor.

Back