Fresh hops that turned brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budger

Reaction score
I was able to get a few ounces of fresh citra hops. There were a bunch in a garbage bag, and I gragged a couple of handfuls. They were warm and wet when I got them. As I've set them out to dry a little while waiting for an ale to finish primary (I'm going to dry hop w/them), I've noticed that some have turned brown, and aren't open and "leafy." Have these turned? Do I need to go through and get rid of the questionable hops? Or can I dry hop with the whole batch, and not worry about contamination, since the lupulin is what counts.

Browned hops are perfectly fine. Smell them. If they smell "off" then you might want to throw them out. But, most likely, they're fine.

it's called the 'curse of the hop'. bad things happen if you obtain hops through any means other than legitimate ones. just foolin'! as mentioned let them continue to dry and give them a 'rub' before you use them. they'll most likely be fine for dry hopping your beer

Back