Just buy more liquid yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_BREWERY

Reaction score
I have to brew in 2 days, and i don't have the yeast yet for the belgian trippel SG 1.081. i don't think i have time to make a starter, my question is can i just buy more vials of the yeast and directly pitch it? anything to be cautious about here or anything i should do for this case?

I'd rather spend a little more money buying extra yeast than miss this brew day. i used the pitching calculator and will need 3 vials which will slightly underpitch which is fine. i'll be using the wpl500 trappist ale yeast. thoughts?

Yeah, buy more yeast. I've done it before on a few Oktoberfests that I didn't have starters for. Nothing wrong with doing what you need to do to meet a brew day and make sure you have a good fermentation.

OR... you could make a starter, brew as usual, and hold the wort until the starter's ready. As long as your sanitization is good, you'll be fine.

-Steve

i won't be able to pick up the yeast till brew day, will the wort really last another 48 hours until i can get the good starter going? seems awfully risky no?

It really depends on your sanitization. I've had no problems holding wort for a few days. If you can chill it while you're waiting that's even better, but not necessary.

If buying more yeast is convenient for you, though, then I think that would be the better choice.

-Steve

I made a quad last friday and screwed up the starter, went to the LHBS and bought 4 vials of WLP500. The fermentation was vigorous to say the least.

i won't be able to pick up the yeast till brew day, will the wort really last another 48 hours until i can get the good starter going? seems awfully risky no?

If you have a way to cool the wort down to 35-40 you can help minimize your contamination risk too, and your wort can easily last that long.

thanks for all your replies looks like i'll be good either way, i do have a fridge to keep my wort cold after boiling, maybe it'll be a gametime decision depending on how much the yeast is per vial. didn't know the wort could wait a day or two. i think my sanitation is great, haven;t had an infection in 23 batches.

Back