Looking for a quick winter/celebration ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnboyvt

Reaction score
I know it's a long-shot, but I've got some free time this weekend and I want to brew a winter/celebration style ale that will be ready for Christmas giving. Any ideas or recipes for something good and quick (4 weeks grain to brain)?

You can always add an extract at packaging (bottling). Make the base recipe and then choose some extracts and play with the mix, then scale it up for the entire batch once you find it. I'm considering doing this myself. 4 weeks is plenty of time to brew and bottle, though. Better get started though. 2 weeks in a clean primary with plenty of yeast (starter or repitch fresh slurry...or multiple vials/packs if necessary) and good temp control should be fine. Then 2 more weeks in bottles in a reasonably high temp (can you do 70?). When you give them away tell the people to wait a week then put in fridge for 2 days. Some might not, but it's best.

Temp control isn't an issue. Any suggestions for a recipe? I've only done 5 batches so far and all of those were pales or IPAs. This is my first dive into winter style ales and I know I'm rushing it with 4 weeks. I don't really need to do a warmer or anything with a really high ABV, just something with enough malty-ness and maybe some spices that'll be good on snow days in January.

I've been eyeing the Holly ale in "Specialty Beers" recipe section, but again, get an idea for the spice profile. The beer itself you probably want to be on the sweet side (higher mash temp, gratuitous crystal malts/carapils/honey malt, etc.). I was thinking Simcoe hops because of the piney aroma, some nutmeg, ginger, clove, cinnamon, perhaps some cranberry extract. They make extracts that have multiple things combined, as well. Look around for them.

The base beer is simple. Pick something with some sweetness and perhaps some biscuity flavor, maybe some victory, or just use Marris Otter, Vienna as the base if you don't want as much on the toastiness. In your case the back-end spicing is the key.

You could start with this grain bill or something similar, though:

41% Vienna
15.4% Cystal 40
41% Pale Ale (or 2-row, or MO)

That's a nice darker base, nothing too complex but has flavor and sweetness. Mash it higher, say 155-156. Use a clean bittering hop and maybe some Simcoe at 5m to get some aroma, an ounce or two depending on how piney you want it.

Then add your extract to a small measured amount of beer once FG is reached, one drop or measure at a time. Keep track of how much you like in that amount and scale up.

I'm totally spit-balling here though. YMMV.

So you are saying go for a simple base, and just spice it entirely with extracts right at bottling? Interesting.

Back