stove top all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
with the weather getting colder I have been thinking of ways of to brew indoors. My latest idea is to convert a 5 gallon sanke in to a mash tun and brew 3 gallon batches. Im planning on using a similar setup as fly's 10 gallon cooler conversion but making a loop with a T fitting. Im going to get some high temp tubing but until then I wont be able to direct fire on the stove top so how should I maintain my mash temp? I have tried wrapping a blanket around my 1/2 barrel mash tun but that didnt seem to work very well. It seems like I have read about wrapping the keg in a water heater wrap or some thing. any one have any thoughts on this idea?

yeah, insulated water heater wrapping.
there's also simliar insulation material sold at some online brew shops.

I use that bubble wrap insulation stuff on my 5 gal mashtun. I made a "sleeve" out of it that slips over the mashtun. Then I jam a blanket into the top to insulate it. Holds temp dead on. My 15 gal mashtun I just throw a comforter and some blankets over as it holds temp well.

Insulator.jpg

Thermometer.jpg

Insulated.jpg

killian said:
....I wont be able to direct fire on the stove top so how should I maintain my mash temp?
Time to try decoction mashing. It's a lot easier to muscle around a fraction of the grain/water load in a separate pot that than hefting the whole thing on the stove. For 3-gallon batches, decoction mashing is a snap.

Why not just buy a 5 gallon cooler for like ten bucks?

Oh... you want to do direct heating. Well then why not a SIMS set up? Get yourself a pressure vessel and inject steam into a cooler?

I already have the keg actually two of them sitting around and I thought I would try to put it to some good use. a pressure canner is on my list of things to buy though.

Back