Cut in cooler lining help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcrisler

Reaction score
So, I was putting together a new cooler mash tun, and as I was cutting out the spout the cooler came with, I accidentally put a small slice in the bottom of the cooler. Not even sure if it went all the way through, but I would like to seal it up just in case. The cut is from an exacto knife and is razor thin and only half an inch long. Any ideas for a good way to seal it that is generally food/heat safe?

I really want to salvage the cooler as it was $60 and is 30 gallons. To be used for 15 gallon batches. Can post pictures if needed. Thanks for the help.

If that does not work out as hoped, I'd use and RTV silicone caulk. I put that on the washers I used on the piping of my cooler mash tun, as well as on my heatsticks.

It should work just fine. I have seen people use it in salt water aquariums with no I'll effects.

If it was me I'd try to melt the plastic itself to close the cut. With a torch or hot knife. That's just me though.

Id go wit hot knife to weld it. but anything that would work in a fish tank should be chem free. IMO

I just don't think I could get past the idea of using any type of chemical. Even if it was considered safe, I would have a psychological issue with it. I'd actually try to melt it, or I'd just use it as an ice chest and buy another one to mash in..

I'm just funny that way! :drunk:

I just don't think I could get past the idea of using any type of chemical. Even if it was considered safe, I would have a psychological issue with it. I'd actually try to melt it, or I'd just use it as an ice chest and buy another one to mash in..

I'm just funny that way! :drunk:

Huh? The cooler is "plastic", a polymer made of chemicals. You are made of chemicals, though mostly complex proteins hung on a frame of calcium hydroxyapatite, with variable amounts of lipid stores as well. Oh, and you get drunk from a chemical. It seems that which chemical it is makes a difference. Some are safe, some are not. Being "funny" about "any type of chemical" only works if you are a ghost.

Huh? The cooler is "plastic", a polymer made of chemicals. You are made of chemicals, though mostly complex proteins hung on a frame of calcium hydroxyapatite, with variable amounts of lipid stores as well. Oh, and you get drunk from a chemical. It seems that which chemical it is makes a difference. Some are safe, some are not. Being "funny" about "any type of chemical" only works if you are a ghost.

neo-luddites - anything is safe and normal if it was that way when it came from the store, or has been that way since they were 10 years old or so.

Geez! You know what I meant! :rolleyes:

Back