Corks coming out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIMARIPA

Reaction score
I bottled my skeeter pee about a week ago after sulphiting, sorbating, and back sweetening. At the time there was no apparent gas in solution. I bottled at room temperature then placed it in a 54 degree refrigerator. Now a week later the tops of the corks are pushing out of half the bottles. I opened 3 bottles and the pee is still... still. What is going on?

Oops I meant to post this in wine... But still the question remains, plus it actually was skeeter mead.

I didn't do anything in particular to degass, but there really didn't appear to be any suspended gas in it, plus I wouldn't think this would be a problem because it is stored at a lower temp than it was bottled.

Apparently the sorbate didn't do the trick. I'd grab a SG sample and see if fermentation has restarted.

Did you rack off of the lees and then sorbate and sulfite and wait a while, and then backsweeten? Or did you do it all at once?

If the wine wasn't completely and perfectly clear with no lees still forming, it wasn't ready to be sorbated.

Yooper is probably right, but I'll offer up the really stupid question - did you remember to let the bottles stand for a few days after corking to let the preasure get past the cork? Usually wine is stored on its side, but I know that it is to be stored upright for about 2 or 3 days after bottle/corking.

natural cork, or synthetics?

I'll NEVER use synthetics again...the slightest bit of leftover gas and they worm their way out.

I did not let them stand I was not aware that I was supposed to do that, and yes they are synthetic corks. Perhaps that's the answer.

Well both of them ... With synth corks, you don't need to put them on the side - you put wood corks on the side to prevent dryout of the cork - which can't happen with synthetics. Additionally, the preasure from the gas(the space of the inserted cork) isn't helping. Anyhow, next time, about 3 days upright if natural corks before tipping, if synthetic cork, don't bother tipping (unless you need the space)

The bottles just fit better on their side, but in the future I'll let all my bottles stand for a spell before tipping them.

Back