Like an Eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I want to brew a barleywine and treat a few gallons of it like an eisbock and stuff some of it in the closet for a few years. I did a little research on my deep freezer, it may get down to -10F to -15F. Does anyone have an idea what percentage of ABV it would yield if I stuck 3 gallons of barleywine in the deep freezer? I'm just wondering if anyone has tested the limitation of their deep freezer.

I know the guys at Brewdog in Scotland take theirs to an ice cream factory and theirs yields between 30% and 40% but who knows how cold those freezers are.

It's really hard to calculate ice beers from what I read. It all depends on what the alcohol is to begin with, and how much water you take out. I think with a typical eisbock you should be removing around 1/3 of the water in the beer. This would make me think that the alcohol should go up by 1/3, but I'm not sure. It's late, and my brain doesn't want to function correctly.

There's no need to bring your freezer to -10F. Beer will freeze at around 28F (depending on abv) in around an hour.

Yes, it will be hard to calculate with out physical evidence, and like you said it depends on the starting ABV. But not all beer freezes around 28F, the higher the ABV the lower the freezing temp. What I want to know is how much of the water will freeze out of the beer at -10F. I will prob be starting around 10% I believe.

You can stick a 35% liquor in the deep freezer and none of it will ever freeze. I'm wondering if I can get the beer to surpass 20% - 25% in the deep freezer if not I'm better off just using a super high gravity yeast.

I remember I once had a half bottle of raspberry smirnoff in the freezer (regular freezer not deep freezer but I'm pretty sure it was in direct path of the cold blowing air) and some of it definitely froze up. it was like about "half melted slushie" consistency.

On another occasion I threw a few cans of beer in the freezer to get them cold and drinkable quickly (back in my bmc days). One got left in there for almost 2 hours and when I went to grab the frozen pizza out of the freezer, much to my dismay there was a blown out can and frozen beer slush all over the freezer.

Also, after a little research I found that a bottle of 40% alcohol will freeze at -16.51*

Just some food for thought. I feel -10* might make some nice barleywine popsicles! :p

Back