anyone know of a regular store that sells a hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Reaction score
mine broke and my LHBS is 30 mins away and they close in 20 mins. I doubt they are open tomorrow or the next day. I need to take some gravity readings.

Anyone have any ideas? is there another possibly cruder way to measure specific gravity?

may be worth a call to see if they will charge your CC over the phone and leave it on the door step?

good idea but they actually close at 5 estern woops. I just got an idea though.

specific gravity is Density of liquid/density of water. So If I weigh a sample of beer and divide it by the weight of teh same amount of water then that will be the SG.
Im gonna give it a try. I have an idea of where about the gravity should be so I can judge if im in the ballpark

well I guess that idea is out. the differences in weight I would have to measure are way to minute for my scale. It is quantized in 1/8 oz so I would need like 100 oz sample to get a gravity reading with any sensible resolution

Or, just pull the sample, put it in a closed container like a jelly jar, and measure it later.

Or, just pull the sample, put it in a closed container like a jelly jar, and measure it later.
That won't help him know the current SG. It will continue to ferment in the container. If it has too much further to go, a closed container could become a little glass grenade.

I believe they sell a type of hydrometer at pet stores...though the range is probably not as wide as a brewing one. Or if you've got one nearby, any kind of science supply store.

Unless you have a need to crash it at a certain gravity. Just crack open a home brew, enjoy Christmas and let the yeast do their thing. I know alot of people get hung up on taking readings and knowing the status of the beer. It will still be there after the holidays when your shop is opened back up. If you absolutely need one do you have any brewer friends in the area that could lend you one?

If you are worried about fermentation bringing the SG down, just put your sample in the freezer and allow it to thaw back to room temp when you'll take your reading: the ice will kill any yeast.

Or just think about something else and go back to the store when it is open.

Back