Request for lager help #79219

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNothing

Reaction score
So I know Im not the first to this game, and I KNOW my situation isnt unique. But after searching and googling I cant seem to find an answer.

I started my first lager about 2.5 weeks ago, an Oktoberfest. I have it sitting in my basement, in a 40 gallon storage bin full of water to keep the temp low.

At first I kept it at aroune 50-55 with swaping out ice water bottles, and allw as great. After a week I had to go on vacation for 4 days, the bottles didnt get swapped, and when I got back..I didnt do anything about it.

So Ive had an Oktoberfest in primary fermentation for almost 3 weeks, and the majority of that time its been at about 65*F.

I will take a refractometer reading tomorrow, but my question is. What do I do from here? Im thinking I should lager now, as its been nearly 3 weeks and with a warm fermentation I wont need the whole month. Do I need a Di-rest since I've already been fermenting high? Any other advice?

After you take a temp and hydrometer reading drink the sample.

If it's still around 65F then that's not too bad. Rack it if it's done (reached the projected FG), and place it back in the swamp cooler and try to maintain colder temps.

For lagering I'm going to be racking to a keg as my fermentation vessel and using a buddies fridge fermentation cooler. So ill be able to have proper temps then, im just worried about my high temps durring primary fermentation.

Do I need a Di-rest since I've already been fermenting high?

:p A d-rest is nothing more than raising the temp of a ferment toward the end. I think you have that part covered handily.

The first week is the most important. If you pitched enough healthy yeast, you should have a super tasty festbier after a month or so in the fridge.

:p A d-rest is nothing more than raising the temp of a ferment toward the end. I think you have that part covered handily.

The first week is the most important. If you pitched enough healthy yeast, you should have a super tasty festbier after a month or so in the fridge.

Awesome. I figured I had the DiRest covered given my already high temps. I definitely pitched enough yeast, according to Mr Malt, so I hope all is well!

As long as you pitched a good starter I'm sure the VAST majority of your fermentation was done the first couple days. You'll be fine without a doubt.

Thanks for all your help guys, if I had just waited to take a refractometer reading...Im 1 point under my estimated final gravity. The beer tastes AMAZING. Once my new keg gets here on tuesday Ill be lagering in my friends fridge cooler and have a great beer come OktoberFest!

Latest posts

Back