American Amber .... too much crystal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpreuss

Reaction score
So I was thinking about making an AAA and but I'm not sure if I'm going overboard on the crystal. What do you guys think? Here's the recipe:

5 lb 2 Row
5 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb British Extra Dark Crystal

1 oz Target 8.6%AA 60min<< I know this isn't a c hop or magnum but I have a pound that I need to use and I need a break from english brews
1 oz Cascade 5.4%AA 15min
1 oz Cascade 5.4%AA Flameout

Wy1272 American Ale II for the yeast

I'm shooting for a nice malty amber and a nice Cascade nose but I dont' want to go overboard on the crystal and make this beer unbalanced.

Thoughts?

The crystal is 13% of your total weight of grains. It depends on what you like, but I think it's a little much. I made a beer once where I went overboard on the crystal. It was still drinkable, but it was just a little to heavy and sweet. I'd shoot for something closer to 5% imho.

The british extra dark crystal does have a sweet raisiny, dark fruit flavor to it that I find interesting but it might take something to balance it out. If you are on the fence--I've seen beers with more crystal--mash at a low temperature to increase your fermentability. You might be right to cut to 50-75% of what you have now but going with this recipe you'll know your limit.

It reminds me of Randy Mosher's India Red Ale, an adaptation found here.

Ok here is what I ended up brewing today:

6.5 gallons
6 lb 2 Row
5 lb Bolander Munich
.5 lb Crystal 60L
.5 lb Crystal 80L

1 oz Target 8.5%AA 60min
1 oz Cascade 5.4%AA 5min

1/2 gallon starter 1272 American Ale II

Came in at 1.052. Was planning on mashing at 154dF but missed and ended mashing low at 149dF for 60 min.

Ok here is what I ended up brewing today:

6.5 gallons
6 lb 2 Row
5 lb Bolander Munich
.5 lb Crystal 60L
.5 lb Crystal 80L

1 oz Target 8.5%AA 60min
1 oz Cascade 5.4%AA 5min

1/2 gallon starter 1272 American Ale II

Came in at 1.052. Was planning on mashing at 154dF but missed and ended mashing low at 149dF for 60 min.

Heh, personally I would have used less high lovibond crystals and used more lighter ones. My American Amber Ale uses ~16% crystal (and a ton of late-addition hops for flavor and aroma) and it's probably the best beer I've ever brewed. Plus, using more crystal would provide more body considering you mashed at 5 degrees below desired. Regardless, it's probably going to be a very tasty beer

Personally, I think this beer looks stellar. I think that the Munich and low mash temps would balance out the orginal pound and a half of crystal malts. Either way, this beer looks great, let us know how it goes!

With only 8% crystal, a low mash temp and 40 IBU you have a Pale ale.
BJCP said:
Can overlap in color with American pale ales. However, American amber ales differ from American pale ales not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having more caramel flavor, more body, and usually being balanced more evenly between malt and bitterness.

Back