This weekend's brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFuggles

Reaction score
I'm a new member but I have been reading up here and other places and been brewing for a few months now.

I am making my second all grain brew this weekend. I am going for an English Mild Session here's the recipe let me know how you think it will turn out. I'll let you know how it does turn out!:drunk:

Infusion Mash for 1 hour at 150F, Batch sparge w/ two equal volumes at 170F

Grain Bill

5 lbs of 2 row Pale
1/2 lb of crystal 60L
1/2 lb of carapils
1/4 lb of kiln coffee malt
1/4 lb of pale chocolate

Yeast WLP 038 Manchester Ale

I am going to bitter with 1/4 oz of Pilgrim, finish w 1/2 oz of Pilgrim, and dry hop in secondary w 1/4 oz of Pilgrim.

I like getting the flavor of one hop in this mild to get a feel for it.

Thanks
Cfug

Looks good. I would mash at 153-154 or your beer is going to be thin. This is a small beer and need some body in it.

The carapils will help some but I personally think 150 is too low to mash.

Agreed as stated above. If your set on 150, I would definetly put some malto-dextrin in the boil, help with head retention and body!

Thanks for the advice, I mashed at 153 like you guys suggested. My SG was 1.033 Ok I guess for a small beer.

I have one question though, I pitched my yeast Friday at 5 pm, It is now sunday at 10am. I have a bubbling air lock and thin layer of krausen, but I don't have that real active, swirling around of the wort in the the carboy.

Do you think the yeast is working properly? Its White Labs 038 Manchester Ale.

Thanks for the advice, I mashed at 153 like you guys suggested. My SG was 1.033 Ok I guess for a small beer.

I have one question though, I pitched my yeast Friday at 5 pm, It is now sunday at 10am. I have a bubbling air lock and thin layer of krausen, but I don't have that real active, swirling around of the wort in the the carboy.

Do you think the yeast is working properly? Its White Labs 038 Manchester Ale.

Yes, it's fine. With an OG of 1.033, you should finish pretty quickly even with just a little visible activity.

Latest posts

Back