How much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I am making a 2 gal batch and my LHBS gave me one packet of yeast that's good for 5 gal. He said to pitch the whole thing. It is Danstar Windstor yeast. Would it hurt to pitch the whole packet?

You're fine. It won't hurt the batch. Depending on the gravity of the wort you could probably get away with pitching only half, though, especially if you had another similar sized batch to pitch the remaining yeast into. (Probably the incurably tight Scots' upbringing in me coming out:eek:)

What kind of yeast and style of beer is it? Some styles can benefit from a slight underpitch which stresses the yeast into producing esters that are desirable in that style.

You're fine. It won't hurt the batch. Depending on the gravity of the wort you could probably get away with pitching only half, though, especially if you had another similar sized batch to pitch the remaining yeast into. (Probably the incurably tight Scots' upbringing in me coming out:eek:)

What kind of yeast and style of beer is it? Some styles can benefit from a slight underpitch which stresses the yeast into producing esters that are desirable in that style.

It's the caribou slobber from northern brewer. I think I messed up on the recipe though. The OG is 1.076, the recipe for 5 gal calls for 1.052. I ended up pitching the whole packet because of the high gravity.

Pitch it all! Pitch it all! Then leave it be for 3 weeks and bottle. Seriously. If you can't wait use the anxiety energy to brewing another beer.

I use a couple of Mr.Beer LBKs aswell as some 6 gallon plastic buckets. In fact, both of the AG batches I've done recently have been in the MrB. LBKs. A couple of batches ago, an extract brew, I had the LBK filled really high (like maybe 2.8 or 2.9 gallons, assuming the actual volume of the LBK is about 3.15), had some amazingly active krausen action going and at peak it was exiting from the lid and dribbling down the sides. Not a huge volume exiting but pretty consistent for a day or two. Wasn't a problem and just having the LBK sitting in the swamp cooler was all the precaution necessary.

Back