First time mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steviet

Reaction score
Hi people! I've had my first attempt at brewing mead today but I'm not sure if what I have done is going to work. When I finished adding the honey I did shake the demijohn to try mix it with the water better but when I finished with putting the yeast and nutrients in I noticed that the honey is settled at the bottom. Will this still work or should I start again? I was planning on leaving it for 6 month. I've attached a pic for all to see. Thanks for any reply in advance.

image-1158213382.jpg

It will probably still be OK...
I think I'd remove the air lock, cap it and schake it all real good again. And if you do this, do it soon before the yeast starts 'getting active'

Thanks, it's been in the demijohn for about 3 hours now, do you still think its ok to shake?

Steviet...even at 3 hours you are fine to cap it and shake it...even just rolling the the tilted carboy on a cushioned surface (so not to damage) may help. Or a drill powered mix-stir?? You really want to get as much of that honey dissolved into solution as you can. Did you happen to heat the water at all, as that makes it easier for the honey to dissolve? Moving forward, this may help especially if you do not boil your honey/water, simply microwave your honey for approximately 4 minutes and then stir it into your solution.
Welcome to the wonderful adventure known as meadmaking! It is quite addictive, and the options really are endless. (well almost).

I did not heat the water but will do from now on :). I just gave it a good shake and now looks much better. Thanks for the advice!

I never heat my water!
But I would rather heat the water then put the honey in the microwave.

With one gallon batches just shake the s**t out of your carboy, then hand it off to your 12YO daughter to shake until you can feel your arms again. Then shake teh s**t out of it again. At least that's what I do.

Honey is such a delicate and complicated taste and fragrance I try to not disturb it.

I did not heat the water but will do from now on :). I just gave it a good shake and now looks much better. Thanks for the advice!
Just like Halbrust says, I also never heat my water or honey. Even if the honey is crystalised, I just put it, with some water, into a sanitised liquidiser or food processor and blitz it. Once its got some water mixed in, it mixes in very easily.

Don't forget, if you're using fruit in a batch (disregard JAO) then you can mix the honey and water first, then add the fruit (dont blitz the fruit, at most, just freeze and thaw to break the fruit cells - blitzing the fruit breaks the seeds/pips causing possible bitterness).

Back