Double IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garcara

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking for some criticisms on this Double IPA recipe I came up with. I have a lot of Chinook to use up so I thought I would try a single-hop Chinook.

Double IPA
OG: 1.092
FG: 1.017
ABV: 10.0 %
IBUs: 86.4 IBUs
SRM: 9.0

6 Gallon Batch
70% Brewhouse Efficiency

17 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
3 lbs Vienna Malt
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

1.00 oz Chinook 13.00 % FWH
1.00 oz Chinook 13.00 % 30 Min
1.00 oz Chinook 13.00 % 15 Min
0.50 oz Chinook 13.00 % 10 Min
0.50 oz Chinook 13.00 % 0 Min
American Ale - Wyeast Labs #1056 Yeast

I have never had an all chinook beer, but it could be really good. My only observation would be that I'm not sure if you will get the bitterness that you are projecting. The IBUs that brewing software tends to calculate for FWH are typically quite a bit different than actual perceived bitterness. In beersmith, for instance, change the boil time on FWH to 20 minutes instead of 60 and that gets pretty close. (Disclaimer: I haven't put this recipe into beersmith, it just looks like too few hops for those IBUS at first glance. If you have already done the FWH adjustment please disregard that suggestion.:D)

Well one things for sure, by the end of this beer you sure will know if you really like Chinook or not.

I like the malt bill. I would move half of your 30 to fwh or 60 min and then add every thing else in the last 5 min. Then I would add an oz or two for dry hop. You want that great aroma. Should be malty and pungent. Good luck and tell us how it is. I have done 5 single hop DIPAs buy never Columbus.

Brewitt said:
I have done 5 single hop DIPAs buy never Columbus.

Sorry, I should have said Chinook. Columbus would be true too but you aren't using that =8^0

Solid. If there is anything I might add is to mash for highly fermentable wort and/or sub some corn sugar. Big IPA's should not be too sweet IMHO and either mashing around 148 or adding some sugar can help dry out the beer. That said, you did not say your mash temp, so you may already be doing this!

Happy Hopping!

p.s. I second the dry hopping suggestion. A DIPA without dryhops is a tragedy.

Solid. If there is anything I might add is to mash for highly fermentable wort and/or sub some corn sugar. Big IPA's should not be too sweet IMHO and either mashing around 148 or adding some sugar can help dry out the beer. That said, you did not say your mash temp, so you may already be doing this!

Happy Hopping!

p.s. I second the dry hopping suggestion. A DIPA without dryhops is a tragedy.

Sorry I did forget my mash temp, I was definitely planning on mashing at 149, but I will consider 148.

I like the malt bill. I would move half of your 30 to fwh or 60 min and then add every thing else in the last 5 min. Then I would add an oz or two for dry hop. You want that great aroma. Should be malty and pungent. Good luck and tell us how it is. I have done 5 single hop DIPAs buy never Columbus.

I am thinking I am going to add a 60 minute addition. I have to yet decide where I am going to remove some, I might replace my FWH.

Thanks

FYI, Arrogant Bastard is an all Chinook beer, supposedly brewed with 2-row (90%) and Special B (10%).

Latest posts

Back