Beer names

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
How do you guys name your clones? Does respect to the original dictate that I have to call it a clone of something? Or can I make up my own name?

billybrew said:
How do you guys name your clones? Does respect to the original dictate that I have to call it a clone of something? Or can I make up my own name?

It should be a clever pun. For example, Goose Island makes a beer called 312 Urban Wheat, because 312 is the area code for Chicago (where it's brewed). One day, I'll make a clone called 847 Suburban Wheat because that's my AC and I live in the 'burbs.

You should also think of a way to describe the experience. For example, a Fat Tire clone that carbonates poorly could be Flat Tire.

Name your beer like you name your pets or children: when you're very drunk.

in the world of homebrew, allow mothing to dictate your recipes or names. it's your beer. make it how you want. call it what you want.

I named my first few batches something clever because I was excited to be starting to homebrewing. then I named them "Pale Ale #1", "Stout #4", "Newcastles Clone #3", etc, etc, etc for a few years.

-walker

I named my last beer "Although My Name's Not Bamber Amber" in honour of Monty Python's worst song.

I generally call clones by the original name + clone, but I don't do them very often.

I've been using names and numbers-that way, I just have to write the number on the cap, and I know what it is-

#97 Skibbereen Pale Ale- 97 is the street address of the cottage I spent summers, and Skibbereen is the town in Ireland that my family comes from

#0 Banshee Red Ale- Zero because as my second brew, I used no books or directions- tried to do it all on my own. A banshee is a mythical beast.

#17 Kelltic Stout- 17 is my b-day as well as st patrick's day. As for the Kelltic, I was looking at some pitcures from my last trip to Dublin, and I had spent a lot of time at Trinity looking at the Book of Kells...

my #97a is ready tonight. It is the same recipe, but with more hops.

Next brew is a winter ale that is tentatively named "#54 Winter Bruschi" (I am Patriots fan)

Latest posts

Back