Megapot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
Just got 2 10 gallon megapots and my only problem with them is that there is alot of space left at the bottom below the ball valve. I use one for mash and the other is my bk. Is there a good way to get the liquid out besides tipping the pot a lil.

You'll need a dip tube for that ... Small length of tube that bends from the valve toward the bottom of your pot.

+1 - I have the Update International pots which the Megapots are just rebranded as. You'll need a dip tube to capture liquid below the port. Keep it short and leave about 1/8" gap from the tube to the bottom of the pot. I have around a 32oz loss doing this - not bad considering average is a half gallon.

it may be enough to just use an elbow fitting. If that doesn't go down low enough, you can extend it with a ss nipple or a copper solder fitting.
If you have a female to female coupler installed on the inside of the kettle, try replacing that with a female elbow.

P1010618.jpg

Do yall think the stainless steel ss braid from my mlt would work, since im gonna use it as my hlt now. Or would the pump compress it to much?

Really no need to put it on the HLT. It's just water so there's nothing to filter.

You can use it on the MLT - there's a certain size that works. You'll have to search it. Otherwise much simpler option is a dip tube and cram a stainless steel scrubby under it.

bargainfittings.com is one place.. or you can buy ss 1/2 bent tube, cut it to length and use a compression adapter to attach...

I put an elbow in it but i cant tighten it all the way or it wont face down. U think that wuld b a problem

Some possibilities:

1) There's some "sugar" from the welding process on your threads preventing a full engagement.

2) Too much teflon tape. You need about 3 full wraps.

3) You're over-tightening it. You don't have to crank down on it. Most joints will actually seal with nothing more than hand tightening.

I would just clean it up, start again and when you get it positioned when you want it and it doesn't seem like it'll go another full turn, leave it alone. It's inside the pot anyway.

Latest posts

Back