6 AM and it just dawned on me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkelly32

Reaction score
I did not shake the carboy to aerate before pitching the yeast, I know I shouldn't worry about this but such is life. I pitched about 4 hours ago and haven't seen anything yet, I must sleep now. I did pour the wort from a sanitized juice jug from the kettle to a funnel into the carboy, and finished by pouring directly from the kettle. So I must have had a bit of aeration by doing that and also moved it a bit making it slosh right after pitching the yeast which I swirled with a sterile spoon before pitching as well. All Good right? I hope.:tank:

If its an average gravity beer, that might be enough but more O2 is always good. It's definitely not too late to shake it up and introduce more O2. Cheers!

^ agreed. you can aerate any time during the first ~12hrs though obviously right before adding yeast is best.

I have forgooten this too after a long brewday, but the beer still turned out fine

Hmm, well it is an average gravity beer 1.050 og but as I went to go shake given your statements that shaking wouldn't hurt in the first 12 hours or so I noticed that the blowoff tube was already bubbling within 4 hours of pitching so I did not want to tinker with it. I think the pour may have done the trick, I am crossing my fingers anyways. I will hopefully be posting a nice krausen pic soon.

Back