Cold storage after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageBrew

Reaction score
First winter as a noob brewer. SWMBO is starting to get on me about all the cases of beer being stacked in the corners of the rooms, under the bed, in the closets, and behind the clothes hampers throughout the house. After keeping my bottles in the house for several weeks at around 70 degrees to get them carbed, whould it be fine to transfer to my attached garage that does not have a constant temperature? At this time of year the temps will fluctuate, but will not get above 70 and will not be below 50.

I think it'll be fine. I did a little experiment last winter. I use a programmable thermostat at home, which drops temps to 55 when I'm not at home and then up to 65 in the evening and back down again at night.

I brewed a double IPA. When it was bottled, I brought a sixer to the office where it's always 70ish, and left it in a cabinet for a month. Then I tried a home-carbed beer side by side with the office carbed beer and they were identical. No problems with carbing in the chilly house.

Of course, YMMV.

I think it's important to let them sit at around 70 for maybe a few weeks, but by then, any clean up of the yeast and carbonation will likely have happened. After that, I would recommend keeping them as col as you can without freezing. The warmer the temperature, the faster the beer will age.

Back