hop bits during boil... use a bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scohop

Reaction score
Whenever I add hops during my boil, I get a surge in the boil and the pot's sides end up coated with all the hops. This seems broken because those precious hops aren't still in the beer where they belong.

What do people do to solve this problem? Throw the hops in slower? Scrape them off the sides? Use a bag?

thanks,
Scott

I scrape and use my spoon to rinse down the sides with the wort.
another thing that helps me is I turn down the heat when I add them and keep it down to a light boil for a few minutes before cranking it back up.

same, and I also stir right after I add the hop pellets, to calm the boilover surge so I usually don't have to scrape the sides much, if at all.

Although I have personally never used a bag, I have read on this forum that the hop pellets will break down small enough to make their way through the bag anyway.

Just turn your heat down, add your hops, stir/scrape to get the hops off the side and turn the heat back up. All will be well.

Hmmm...I'd always left the silt in the bottom of the pot in the pot...zat why all my beers seem so underhopped? I figgered most of the goodness had been boiled out of it by then, but it occurs to me now that I was just tossin' my 'flameout' hop pellets down the drain.

Ya learn somethin new everyday!

cubbies said:
Although I have personally never used a bag, I have read on this forum that the hop pellets will break down small enough to make their way through the bag anyway.

I use a grain sock for a hop bag. About 50% stay in the bag, about 50% escape.

I use hop bags. I don't like the mess of loose hops. You don't get the extraction as adding them loosely, so you may have to add more.

Back