Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey guys my buddy and I want to launch a unique STOUT for a very important event in August (5yr. anniversary for this event). We figure if we start now we will have just enough time. This Stout has to be as black as it can be, a nice bitter/bite to it with a nice creamy head. Now I am unsure if this recipe will even work as it seems like a lot and I wasn't sure if you could be this crazy with the grains and such. I kinda wanted to get a little crazy with it but still have a real nice stout to drink, but let me know what you guys think please! It is a colaberation of about 2-3 recipes. Thanks guys!

6lbs. - Gold LME wort color of 2.0L to 6.0L

1lbs. - Roasted Barley (Simpson's)
.5lbs - Black Malt (Briess)
.25lbs.- Chocolate Malt (Briess)
.25lbs.- Crystal 60L (Simpson's)
.25lbs.- Flaked Barley

1tsp. Gypsum
1oz. U.K. Fuggle
.5oz. Nugget
Irish Ale Liquid Yeast (White Labs)

For what its worthy, I never used (and don't recommend) using dark extract, regardless of what beer you are making. With the specialty grains you've got there, you'll get plenty of dark color and roasty flavor for the stout.

If you were brewing this using all-grain, you would start with pale malt as your base - using the lightest extract available as your base gives you the same starting point.

Have you run your recipe through some brewing software, to see where you are with original gravity and IBUs?

Good luck with the event!

Jim

For what its worthy, I never used (and don't recommend) using dark extract, regardless of what beer you are making. With the specialty grains you've got there, you'll get plenty of dark color and roasty flavor for the stout.

If you were brewing this using all-grain, you would start with pale malt as your base - using the lightest extract available as your base gives you the same starting point.

Have you run your recipe through some brewing software, to see where you are with original gravity and IBUs?

Good luck with the event!

Jim

Would Briess Gold Unhopped LME work? Its got a color of about 2.0L to 6.0L?
Also yes I have found some info on the recipe...and have tweaked it...
OG - 1.052
FG - 1.014
SRM(color) 45 - Black
IBU - 44.5
ABV - 5.1%
Calories - 172/12oz.
The recipe has changed just a little but I think it will work..what do you think?

I'm guessing you're not mashing... Remove the flaked barley, it will only add non fermentable starches to the beer.

M_C

No not mashing...only steeping my friend...So if the flaked barley does nothing why do local supply stores add it into their recipe kits for extract brewers? It has to do something? What do you think about the choice of hops?

Hey guys my buddy and I want to launch a unique STOUT for a very important event in August (5yr. anniversary for this event). We figure if we start now we will have just enough time. This Stout has to be as black as it can be, a nice bitter/bite to it with a nice creamy head. Now I am unsure if this recipe will even work as it seems like a lot and I wasn't sure if you could be this crazy with the grains and such. I kinda wanted to get a little crazy with it but still have a real nice stout to drink, but let me know what you guys think please! It is a colaberation of about 2-3 recipes. Thanks guys!

.25lbs.- Flaked Barley

1tsp. Gypsum
1oz. U.K. Fuggle
.5oz. Nugget

Just Updated

No not mashing...only steeping my friend...So if the flaked barley does nothing why do local supply stores add it into their recipe kits for extract brewers? It has to do something? What do you think about the choice of hops?

Probably because those recipes are converted from all grain recipes. It was likely in the all grain version, but as mentioned it has no use without a mini mash. You'll end up with unfermentable starches that will do nothing but drive up final gravity.

Best thing for you to do is throw a bit of 6 row or even 2 row in there. If your steeping grains anyways it's really not that much different.

Probably because those recipes are converted from all grain recipes. It was likely in the all grain version, but as mentioned it has no use without a mini mash. You'll end up with unfermentable starches that will do nothing but drive up final gravity.

Best thing for you to do is throw a bit of 6 row or even 2 row in there. If your steeping grains anyways it's really not that much different.

What is a bit? and what will 6 row or 2 row even do?

For your amount of specialty grain, a good amount would be 2 or 2 1/2 lbs of 6-row.
Pale malt contains diastatic enzymes that convert starches into sugars, if you steep your grains and the pale malt together for about an hour at just about or just above 150 degrees you will draw some fermentables and, IMO, gain better flavors from your specialty grains.
good luck

1lbs. - Pale 6-row

1tsp. Gypsum
1oz. U.K. Fuggle
.5oz. Nugget

OG-1.056
FG- 1.015
SRM - 46
IBU - 40.4
ABV - 5.5%
CAL. - 185/12oz.

How does this look now?

So what do you think about the Flaked Barley then? If we are doing the 6-row almost like a partial or mini mash could the Flaked Barley make any difference at all for creaminess, mouthfeel, or body with the recipe we got going?

So what do you think about the Flaked Barley then? If we are doing the 6-row almost like a partial or mini mash could the Flaked Barley make any difference at all for creaminess, mouthfeel, or body with the recipe we got going?

Yes, I think it will help with mouthfeel and body, either as a steeped grain or a partial mash.

1lbs. - Pale 6-row
.25lbs - Flaked Barley
1tsp. Gypsum
1oz. U.K. Fuggle
.5oz. Nugget

OG-1.056
FG- 1.015
SRM - 46
IBU - 40.4
ABV - 5.5%
CAL. - 185/12oz.

How does this look now? Steeped at around 150 for an hour...then add our Nugget for an hour and then our fuggles for the last 5 min.? Hows that?

Actually I believe I will use 2lbs. of the Pale 6-row.
and I will use 1oz. of the Nugget for the whole 60 min. steep...and I am going to use the Flaked Barley...

2-row will convert just as much as the 6-row these days. maybe even pilsner

This one looks good now, the 2 lbs of 6-row will convert well and you'll still get good mouthfeel and head retention from the flaked barley, and it should be nice and dark with that grain bill.

Do you know if it would make that big of a difference if we went from 6lb. LME Gold to a 4lb. Light LME...We are thinking of using a Mountmellick Imported(Ireland) Light LME instead...here is the link if you can maybe tell us a little more about it...
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mountmellick-ireland-light-4-lb.html
Just wondering what you guys suggested...thanks!

I think using light lme is a good idea, but don't understand why you are thinking of using 1/3 less? Are you looking for a lower original gravity?

Jim

I think using light lme is a good idea, but don't understand why you are thinking of using 1/3 less? Are you looking for a lower original gravity?

Jim

Not really...Just curious to know if there was a huge difference...At the supply place we frequent they only have this light lme in 4lb. cans for some reason...but it states its an English Lager Malt anyways...hmm...we will probably just go with the "Gold" its cheaper and has a 2.0L to 6.0L...

Back