Weber Pilot Brewing System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimWeber

Reaction score
I've been planing this in my head for 4 years now, been planned it on paper for a year and a half and started working on the welding portion back in June. Now it's really starting to resemble something. My wife and I are going to open a brewpub in a few years and this system will be used as our pilot system. Most of my research was conducted on HBT and I have all you guys to thank! I'll be slowly editing this post.

Some acknowledgments: xxxxx

I started by building a prototype.

Then I started solid modeling the system.

Then I bought a welder and started to teach myself to weld buy building a welding table first.

Started working on the gas plumbing today. A lot is temporary at this point. I ran out of money for a couple of months just today. For now everything with be manual. By January I'd like to have my BCS controlling Intermittent Pilot lights.

I was able to finish the rest of the plumbing and gas piping before Sunday's brewday. I even finished the HLT about an hour before mash in. The system worked great! Brewed the annual pumpkin ale. Brew day was shortened by at least an hour and we hit an mash efficency of 86% and best of all I didn't have to run around the house lifting a boiling pot of wort!

Crossing my fingers that I get get the controls installed on the HLT and mashtun burner by January.

Fan-freaking-tastic. I love that you started welding to become a better brewer. I'm finding out quickly how inextricably linked these two skills are.

Congratulations on your hard work and a great looking design.

Thanks wehumble! I spend A LONG time debating with myself on the configuration. Couldn't decide between 1 or 2 tier. I think my wife was sick of hearing it! Wood stand really helped me figure out what dimensions I liked.

shroomzofdoom Ha! I've wanted to learn to weld for a while and this was a perfect excuse to buy a welder and learn. It's really fun too! I wish I had bought a MIG now, I see a TIG someday in my future. Everything for better efficiency and beer!

JewBrew: no rust, yet. I used Rustoleum High Heat engine paint. Good to 2000F
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=371

Tim, are you just wanting to add pics? Add new posts and I will shoehorn them in the right place. If adding photos in general is a problem, just type in the links and I'll fix it. I think its because youstarted this thread as a supporing member but are not now.

Tim, are you just wanting to add pics? Add new posts and I will shoehorn them in the right place. If adding photos in general is a problem, just type in the links and I'll fix it. I think its because youstarted this thread as a supporing member but are not now.

Huh, I did a test in the test forum and I was able to edit the post. I have quite a bit to add to this up at the top, pictures and text. I guess my other option is to delete the whole post and start over. I don't think I was ever a supporting member. Maybe you are for a time when you sign up? Thanks for following up!

There is a time limit on how long you can edit a post as a non-paying member. This is to prevent shenanigans when it comes to search engine stuff, and the integrity of the structure of the forum etc, etc.

It's not a perfect solution, but that is the world we live in.

Updated pictures
img0311jr.jpg

By timweber at 2011-06-14

img0346nq.jpg

img0357wc.jpg

img0358q.jpg

img0359ng.jpg

Outstanding, Tim!

Definitely inspiring to see you go to such lengths to make your dream a reality.

Can't wait to have one like it!

Thanks! After I get this pilot light working, I'm going to build a computer into it with a swing arm monitor and add some music speakers. :)

Back