BBQ'ing to Save the Planet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet mother of god!!!!!
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0220/p03s01-ussc.html

Humans' beef with livestock: a warmer planet

American meat eaters are responsible for 1.5 more tons of carbon dioxide per person than vegetarians every year.

By Brad Knickerbocker | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor As Congress begins to tackle the causes and cures of global warming, the action focuses on gas-guzzling vehicles and coal-fired power plants, not on lowly bovines.

Yet livestock are a major emitter of greenhouse gases that cause climate change. And as meat becomes a growing mainstay of human diet around the world, changing what we eat may prove as hard as changing what we drive.
It's not just the well-known and frequently joked-about flatulence and manure of grass-chewing cattle that's the problem, according to a recent report by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Land-use changes, especially deforestation to expand pastures and to create arable land for feed crops, is a big part. So is the use of energy to produce fertilizers, to run the slaughterhouses and meat-processing plants, and to pump water.

"Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today's most serious environmental problems," Henning Steinfeld, senior author of the report, said when the FAO findings were released in November.
Livestock are responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse-gas emissions as measured in carbon dioxide equivalent, reports the FAO. This includes 9 percent of all CO2 emissions, 37 percent of methane, and 65 percent of nitrous oxide. Altogether, that's more than the emissions caused by transportation.(more)

If our domestic animals are producing this much earth killing toxic farts just imagine what the rest of the animal kingdom is doing to us!
Those Bassturds!!
Get me a fork, some sauce, and fire up the grill. . . It's time to save the planet!!!

:drunk:

I'm doing my part to reduce the animal population. If we're not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

Sweet. :rockin: Now I can torture the neighbors with the sweet smell of BBQ more often. I'll just tell em' I'm being Eco-Friendly.

Ize

I'll do my part. Here's 65 lbs. of Pork.

8-Butts.jpg

Here it is 20 hours later

8-Butts-20-hours.jpg

I love fresh pulled pork & home brewed beer!

4ButtsPulled.jpg

While in college at the University of Wyoming in the early nineties, we would celebrate Earth Day every year by having huge BBQ in our front yard, handing out hot burgers to everyone that drove or walked by. A huge sign in the yard read "Celebrate Earth Day, EAT BEEF"

The more meat we eat, the more animals they will raise as livestock. So, your idea, unfortunately, won't work. But good find on that article, anyway.

All those photos look REAL good, though.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware the whole post was a joke anyway. :)

Okay, forgive my heathen backwoods ways, but what the heck are those cookers? They look like smokers to me. I've always rotisserie barbecued chickens, pork and roast beef to about the same appearance those pieces of meat have. Like most (all) beer drinkers, I LOVE a good barbecue or smoked piece of meat. Please enlighten this Canuck hick....

desiderata said:
The more meat we eat, the more animals they will raise as livestock. So, your idea, unfortunately, won't work. But good find on that article, anyway.

All those photos look REAL good, though.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware the whole post was a joke anyway. :)

You must have mis undestood what I ment when I said this . . .
If our domestic animals are producing this much earth killing toxic farts just imagine what the rest of the animal kingdom is doing to us!
Those Bassturds!!
Get me a fork, some sauce, and fire up the grill. . . It's time to save the planet!!!

I was planning on taking out the wildlife first.

Anyone of you guys have room on your green eggs for this?
photo-spotted-owl..jpggp7u03.jpg

Pumbaa said:
You must have mis undestood what I ment when I said this . . .
I was planning on taking out the wildlife first.

Man, if yer gonna take out the wildlife first, do the entire autobody repair industry a favor and take out the deer first. From October thru early June I count at least 3 deer carcasses a week on the highway. Losers in the great Vehicle/Deer debate.

Then go after the squirrels, just because I find them annoying. :rockin: Happy little furry tailed rats. :D

Ize

Fingers said:
Okay, forgive my heathen backwoods ways, but what the heck are those cookers? They look like smokers to me. I've always rotisserie barbecued chickens, pork and roast beef to about the same appearance those pieces of meat have. Like most (all) beer drinkers, I LOVE a good barbecue or smoked piece of meat. Please enlighten this Canuck hick....

Fingers, these are what you are seeing...

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

They're not cheap, but they supposedly cook amazingly. (And from the look of EdWorts pulled pork, I think the reviews are dead-on.) Unfortunately no budget for me for one this year, but trust me, the Weber and I are gearing up. We've cracked 35 for 2 days in a row here, and 50's by the end of the week.

I smell a Q coming. :rockin:

Ize

Ize said:
Then go after the squirrels, just because I find them annoying. :rockin: Happy little furry tailed rats. :D

Ize

actually I've been thinking of talking to Catfish and trading him a thousand squirls for 1000 monkeys

No way, eliminate the tree rodents, but make sure u get the little simians live. Then train them to do the grunt work for the brewery.

Ize

Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8 said:
Is there any other kind? :D

Yeah, I suppose that is pretty evil... But in the spirit of this thread make sure that while they're jackin' and crappin' they're also eating a cheeseburger, stuffed with owls, wrapped in bacon, on a bun made of pork chops, with a side of buffalo wings:rockin:

Back