Potential Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

held79

Reaction score
I brewed a light ale from a kit and I'm afraid that I may have messed up on my priming sugar. My OG was 1.032 and I bottled at 1.002 after 3 weeks in primary. It's been 11 days in bottle and I noticed a few bottles had leaky caps. When I popped the cap they spewed spewed like volcanoes and tasted sickly sweet. The beer fermented and is being conditioned at 65-67 deg. Are my bottles gonna blow?

I brewed a light ale from a kit and I'm afraid that I may have messed up on my priming sugar. My OG was 1.032 and I bottled at 1.002 after 3 weeks in primary. It's been 11 days in bottle and I noticed a few bottles had leaky caps. When I popped the cap they spewed spewed like volcanoes and tasted sickly sweet. The beer fermented and is being conditioned at 65-67 deg. Are my bottles gonna blow?

Need specifics.
1) Recipe.
2) style
D) How much priming sugar
5) Ingredients

1.002 is pretty damn low for a FG.

Sickeningly sweet and spewing sounds like way too much sugar added at bottling time.

Better get 'em in the fridge PDQ unless you want a mess to clean up.The chilling will hopefully help them to not spew when opening them.If not then get them close to freezing before opening them.

The recipe and style is Munton's American Style Lite.
Priming sugar amount...never record that, but I'm betting I'm measured wrong.
I tasted it at bottling and it had no flavor. I had been drinking Bock.

Even if chilled will prevent more fermentation and potential bombs, what can I do with the sweet taste? I guess I'll have a dessert beer.

Even if chilled will prevent more fermentation and potential bombs, what can I do with the sweet taste? I guess I'll have a dessert beer.

The only thing I can think of would be to chill them then uncap them to let out some co2,then re-cap them & check one after a week or so(Leaving them in a plastic tote of course)Rinse and repeat as necessary?
Oh yeah--measure right next time OK?:cross:

I measure the sugar, by weight, dissolve it in a little bit of water and add it to my bottling bucket. I was going for a CO2 of about 2.5. I'm betting I topped that.

I've put as much as a full cup in a wit-wit no gushing.That low FG(with the gushing) maybe makes me think you mighta gotta bug.How'd it look,taste at bottling?

You also might not have gotten the priming sugar mixed with your beer completely. Some are overcarbed, but you might have others that don't have much carbonation at all.

If you crack a warm, recently bottled beer it may gush.....if you've been carrying that around or driving with it in your car (jostling the bottle around) it may gush. It takes time for the Co2 to get into suspension, and fresh warm beer just can't hold onto it.

are they all gushing and sickeningly sweet?

Back