corking without corker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I'm afraid I already know the answer to this, but I thought I'd ask. Is there anyway to cork wine bottles without a corker? I've got a bottle capper.

I was going to borrow my LHBS's corker and it ended up being loaned out already. I'd really like to bottle this weekend, but I' don't really want to committ to buying a corker. I'm not sure if I'm going to get into making wine or not. It will depend on how good my first batch is.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think it's possible to cork without a corker. It's difficult to cork WITH a corker. Remember, you have to compress the cork and insert it. A rubber mallet, etc, would not work because the cork is just too big to go in. With a corker, you compress the cork and then plunge it in the bottle. Then it expands to make a seal. You could resort to putting your wine in beer bottles and cap it if that's your only option. (Not recommended for long term storage, but ok for short periods). Or use a 1/2 gallon glass jug with a screw top.

I bought a cheap corker for under $20. Not real easy to use and definitely not for big jobs, but it works ok for 3-5 gallons of wine. Maybe you could find one of those.

Lorena

i have a plastic corker that goes for $8. It takes quite a bit of effort to get the cork in the bottle, (I just used it thismorning) but it works, so if you don't want a big investment but want to get your wine in a bottle, something like that might be the way to go. I'm sure most HBS carry something similar.

I wanted to post this but didn't want to make a huge thread. Heres my story. I took normal corks, yes corks that are larger at one end, hobbyshop corks and placed them in the bottles by hand. I noticed after a few days that i was getting no carbonation so i attempted to seal them with wax, let them sit for a few days and we will see. Well after a few days they went into the refridgerators wine rack, in the few mins they were in there the pressure was too much being on their side, and three exploded, in my fridge. Go buy a corker and some corks, and if anyone wants to donate them to me im game.

you need a corker dont even try it with out one and you will make wine again

I use synthetic corks and wet them just before inserting them in the bottle by hand. I always bruise the heck out of the palm of my corking hand. I'm able to seat the corks all the way in by pushing with a twisting motion. Haven't had a cork come out on its own yet. It can be done this way. Only a masochist would do this for long. Gonna buy a corker as soon as I can.

Providence. I stopped by the brew shop to buy a corker and he asked me if I was the person who had called earlier. The corker had come in.

I had resigned myself to buying one, but was glad I could get by without it for my first wine. I instead spent the money on beer ingredients.

It does look like I'll be making wine again. I'm pretty happy with my results so far, but I'll start another thread about that.

That's the sign of an honest businessman. You were all prepared to buy a corker, and he loaned you his instead. Good that you still gave him your money!

sudsmonkey said:
I use synthetic corks and wet them just before inserting them in the bottle by hand. I always bruise the heck out of the palm of my corking hand. I'm able to seat the corks all the way in by pushing with a twisting motion. Haven't had a cork come out on its own yet. It can be done this way. Only a masochist would do this for long. Gonna buy a corker as soon as I can.

Dude, you are dedicated.

Back